Hello! My mother had an accident yesterday. She was cleaning the basement and found some bottles with some strange and strong chemicals (no one knew who brought the bottles and no one knew what was in them). My mother said this probably belonged to the previous owners. Anyway, she accidentally broke one bottle and the substance burned her legs. I washed her legs with water immediately and called emergency. Our neighbor said I shouldn’t use water. Is water helpful when chemical burn happends?

Hello! Don’t worry, you did the right thing. Flushing with cold water is the first aid when burn happens. It is essential to wash the injured area to remove the substance. Large volumes of water are always used in such cases and wash should last for at least 20 minutes. I hope you took care and didn’t allow runoff to contact unaffected parts of your mother’s legs. Clothes should not be removed before flushing since the skin can be damaged even more. While flushing the clothes should be removed very carefully.