Hello! I burned my fingers with hot oil when I was preparing dinner. I wanted to fry some chicken and I end up with hot oil over my fingers. Actually, this happens to me often since I am not very experienced in cooking. The problem is I have already few damaged areas of my skin which are darker then the rest of the skin. I thought this would go away in some time but the burned places are still darker. My mother told me that I should apply water in a case of burn. Can water reduce skin damage after a burn?

Hello! Cold running water is always the first aid in a case of burn. It should be applied immediately and the affected area should be kept under the running water for at least five to ten minutes. It reduces pain and skin damage. It is normal that burned skin appears darker and differs from the rest of your skin. Sometimes it goes away but if the damage was more serious than it stays. If this bothers you too much you can talk to your dermatologist about it ask him about the possible cosmetic treatment.