Are digestive problems common in older people? My mother and all of her friends seem to have them. She complains on everything from abdominal discomfort after eating, gas, bloating to heartburn. I am not sure why that is. Should she be on diet or what?

Same case here with my mother, 57 years old. Same complaints bloating, or burning sensations…. And I am sure that is because overeating, eating too many high-fat foods,swallowing too much air and lying down to rest immediately after eating, and taking certain drugs. Switching on diet would be great, but she refuses. Doctor said that digestive system problems are the most frequent source of discomfort for older people and solution will be adding more of certain types of foods and reduce other.

I think as we grow older people have more digestive problems. For myself, bloat and abdominable discomfort along with osteoporosis were symptoms of celiac disease. I also take food enzymes and HCI to digest my food.

Whether or not your mothers have celiac disease they might take food enzymes at meal time to help digest food. If they do not have heartburn, HCI might be helpful too.