about 6 months ago i developed what i thought was an ingrown hair . well it is a huge dangling what i guess you would call a growth. it is red nohead, no bleeding, no puss, or discharge and no i have not been taking anti-biotics. it is shaped like the state of florida and it hangs down on one side. it does not itch but hurts when touched . what could this be. iam 48 years old and going through mena pause if that helps.
thank you very much.

oh my god! i have that too...i'm 17 years old and you could say it's some sort of dangling growth on my labia minor. it doesnt itch though, nor do i have any painful sensations in the area. is that just some sort of lose skin???

Glad to learn I am not the only one, mine appeared 5 years ago when I was 38, like the other lady said started off as an irritated hair follicle I think and just kept growing, no pain, no itching, just become a major embarrassment, I am off to see my GP next week, don't even know what to say to describe it, I am pretty sure it is harmless, just embarrassing and I can't hide it any longer, I hope they remove it for me :-(

Here is the ANSWER and TREATMENT from 1st hand recent experience.

I have/had the same problem with the irritated hair follicle, on my labia majora resulting in a long and uncomfortable, not to mention embarrrasing skin growth. I am happy to say I have just had mine removed by a Gynae this week.

It is a VULVA SKIN TAG, usually benign and if you google that description you will find many causes and more info.

If you are anything like me and very shy abiout these matters, going to the doctor is embarrassing, but I had all ladies look after me who made me feel quite comfortable . After the doctor decided it was too big now for her to remove in the local surgery as it would require a couple of stitches I was referred to the Gynae. She confirmed it was unlikely to be anything to worry about, but that it had become a problem due to it's size and removed it in a quick walk in walk out treatment clinic a week later.

It did require several stitches and it did bleed a fair bit, so I DO NOT suggest anyone has any crazy ideas about trying to remove it themsleves ( which I know I did!!) It is now healing albeit a little slower than I hoped, but it is in a difficult place and keeping the would clean is important.

Anyway I feel HUGELY relieved not to have to worry about it any more, having it get caught in clothes and generally getting in the way and becoming sore, I do wish I had had it removed before, but hey ho, I didn't even know what it was.

FYI, it's got nothing to do with STD's or anything you may think you have done, cos I did nothing to deserve this! It's just silly thing that happens sometimes, so you are not at fault just a bit unlucky. The pathology on mine came back benign and no further treatment required, which I understand is normal.

So pop down to your surgery, see a nice lady doc and get that little issue removed, I can't tell you how much happier such a little thing being fixed has made me.

For those who want procedure details here goes.

You are given a surface anaesthetic to rub into the surround skin and area to take away any pain from the local anaestic injection.

You are given a private area to apply this and left for 1 hour in private to ensure it has taken effect. You are then taken into the treatment room and asked to postion your self in a special chair, your dignity is preserved as well as can be expected and you are covered so you cannot see.

The anaesthis is injected, it is only a slight bee sting and instantly takes effect so you fee nothing. The doctor tests to ensure you feel nothing and then proceeds to remove the offending article.

YOU feel NOTHING. They then insert the stitches as applicable and ensure the bleeding stops, in my case it did bleed quite a lot and this was checked before I was allowed to leave.

YOU FEEL NOTHING.

After a few hours it stings a bit as the aneaesthic wears off and in my case a few liquid IBRUPOPHEN made it again painless.

I am still healing, but 10 days later it is nearly better, it is a bit sore, but not much now and it does not stop me getting about, but I guess that depends where it is and the stitches are more annoying than the cut I think, although I am told they will dissolve within 6 weeks and they are less tight now and starting to break down.

I hope that helps anyone worried, I know it bothered me ALOT and for a long time, so if my experience can help others find the courage to go get it sorted now you know it's NOTHING to worry about, its will be worth having bothered.

Good Luck :) :)

I really wish I knew about this before I had mine taken off. My doctor did not give me anything to help with the pain of having the injection. It was PAINFUL! If I knew this was an option, I would have insisted that she give me something for the pain of the injection.

Hey I'm glad I'm not alone in this!! I'm 17 but I've had this for years!! :-(

I never went to the doctor cos I was too embarrassed! I dunno what caused it or anything, but yeah... It's really gross :s or atleast I think so. My long term boyfriend doesn't mind it, but I do... I'm too scared to get it cut though!! x.x

But i might get it checked out, see what the doctor says!
:-)

Thanks for the help (especially Gillian100)!!

Thank You so much for all the information!!! I thought i was the only one in the world with this. I'm glad I'm not alone!! I'm 43 and have had this growth for about 2 yrs. It's really embarassing!!! So, I'm really glad I learned alot on here. Thank You so much!!!! Especially too Gillian100. :-D

Wow... thanks for the info. Made me feel so much better. I went in today for the consult (actually thought it was the appointment to get it removed), and was freaked right out when the doctor mentioned stitches. He also offered me general anesthetic (which made me worry it was going to be really bad, lol). Opting for local as I don't like to be out... they plan to give me the topical cream as well.

Can't tell you how much better I feel to read someone's account of how it went. :-) Thanks so much....

I have it too :\ and im12!

OH WOW Iam 22yrs old and I had the same sort of growth a couple yrs ago on my inner lips (labia minor), I remeber it being pumpy like cauiflower an it hung down, watch itchy,sore n uncomfy. I had the gyno remove it, though it required a few disolvable stitches. It healed fine, though it was sore and uncomfy bcos i cud feel the rough stiches.

ON TO ANOTHER CONCERN
I am wondering now, it is not like the side that int have a growth, its a lil bigger and still a lil bumpy.. My labian majora (ouer lips) and minor (inner lips) get swollen sometimes when I touch myself to masturbate or to relieve an itch. Its gets immplammed,red,tingly.
It sometimes happens in a matter of 30 seconds..I am referring to the swelling.
When it first happened ,I put ice on it bc it was burning an uncomfortable. It often doesnt last long, the swelling goes down significantly if not fully hrs later (or in the morning if this happens at night).

I am going to get it checke out by the Dr. I need to know the root cause,and how to prevent and treat it.

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks for your Input! :-P

I have had this problem for about a week now and I was worried it would be STD related. It was just a small peice of skin that hung close to my clit on my labia, same color as my labia. It only hurt when i touched it directly. Today while touching it again I pulled just a little and it came off. It was a little tiny dark colored ball of blood after I pulled it off. Theres no bleeding on me anymore and its back to normal right after i pulled it off. no pain at all.
Maybe it was so easy for me since I did something about it so early.

i am 14 and have had this problem for years as well, at fist i thought it was nothing, then just a rash, then just something weird and all i needed to do was keep clean, only recently have i really been worried since there is a history of cancer in my family. i am so glad to finally have found something, i searched for so long and soon became so scared that what i had was new or some increadibly rare and noncurable diease.  im so embaressed about it that i havent told anyone, now that i know its just a skin tag i feel much better and now i can look into options for treatment. thank you so much everybody, i dont feel so alone and now i think i can make it through going and talking to someone about.

hi Gillian I just read your post. I had a growth removed last week and am anxiously waiting the results of biopsy.. I was wondering what symptoms you had prior to having it removed. The removal itself was not bad infact the doc said I was way more relaxed than she had expected and like oyu I had women take care of me. If you can give me any encourgment it would be greatly appreciated When I asked teh doc what she thought she just said one never knows with these things until after the biopsy. She did say if it was her she would have it removed. So I did. I am glad it is off but I prayt I get same results as you BENIGN. I had this thing for a few years and teh gybno said nothing to worry about but when it grew a little this past year and a little blood would come out the end sometimes especially if I caught it. ( It was on the front half way up not underneath) freaked me out) if I out soem gauze over it it didnt bleed at all. I itched also but not until recently and when reading about symtoms I giuess that is normal..

anyway hope to hear from you

thanks Kathy.

I am 15 and i have had this 'growth' for a good 2 years now. it makes me extremely nervous and embarrassed eventhough I have never told anyone about it or showed it to anyone. Ever since I got it I have been extremely self conscious and whereas it used to be okay for my mum to use the bathroom whilst I am in the shower, I will not let her in the same room as me (even if she doesnt look) unless I am fully clothed. It has really taken a knock to my confidence and I haven't a clue what to do because who can I contact or go to see if I am on my own at this age? do i not have to be older? i need help or for it to be removed but I really don't want to tell my mum or go with her. I would feel more comfortable going alone but I need information?

I am 15 and the exact same situation as you! I got so so worried and was afraid of what it was and haven't told anybody. now I have seen this i feel better however i dont have the courage to tell my parents, i must go and see somebody about it though but I can't go alone at this age can i?