My friend had laser TURP done under spinal aneasthesia 5 days ago. He is now complaining of having dark colored blood in his stool. The stool is soft and he does not experience pain during defecation.Please explain.

If he's having blood in his stools, he should probably get himself to the emergency room. They may tell him that things are okay and to just talk to the doctor who did the procedure, but he should be careful. Blood in the stools can be a symptom of something very serious.

Response to Bedson Trudeau from salmah

Is there a possibility that the laser might have injured the blood vessels surrounding the area around the prostate.

Do you think it might be better to observe for the next 12 hours or till the next episode of bleeding since there is no indication of active bleeding ?

I don't know enough about this procedure to give you any kind of good answer. All I know is that a doctor told me once that ANY time you have bloody or green stools, you should go to the emergency room. I can't tell you whether or not to wait for 12 hours, but my personal opinion is to go straight to the ER.