For about 10 years now, I have been battling some kind of wierd eye poking phobia thing. I don't know what's causing it, but it's starting to overcome me to the point that it's interrupting my school work and profession. Here's the problem:

Completely out of nowhere, I get this sudden feeling that anything and everything around me is going to poke me in the eyes. It feels like when somebody might hold something really pointy and sharp close to your eye and you get that sick/nauesous feeling in your stomach. I feel very light headed and like I'm about to pass out. Its impossible for me to keep my eyes open. This makes it very awkward when I'm talking face to face with somebody or while sitting in class trying to take notes. It can happen anywhere at anytime. I don't know what might be causing it other than anxiety. It's happening more frequently and it used to only last 5-10 seconds but now it's lasting for minutes.

Can somebody please help me diagnose this? It's starting to become very debilitating. The only thing that I can do to make it go away is to somehow hurt myself so my mind focuses more on the pain than on the condition.

While I sadly have no answers for you.  I can offer you comfort in knowing that you are not alone as i too suffer from this. As of late they are becoming more frequent and intense. Your description is exact! I have had since childhood and had years with minimal if any symtoms at all. In the last 3 months each night I have immediate anxiety upon laying in bed... Even have to keep nightstand away from me as I feel as if it will leap up and poke out my eyes. Not sure if one has anything to do with the other but I am also having incredible night sweats... As if I had a shower and just climbed into bed... Makes me wonder though where such a fear would come from with no logical reason eg: previous eye injury... 

Its called Ipokaphobia

I have the same thing, It started when I was very young. What helps me is the wearing of glasses, sunglasses and fake prescription glasses. I found that of the wind is blowing or there is a light breeze it gets worse. ceiling fans make it happen too. I believe that the feeling of the wind against the wet eyeball sets it off.

This happens to me, but mine is a bit more mild (only when something is near my eyes).

I do the opposite thing.  I poke the sides of my eyes with things.  It makes me rub them and it feels great. 

Judson do you, or have you ever wore glasses? If so it is possible that you psyche has built a comfort of safety when wearing them, thus leaving you're eyes feel vulnerable when they are off(when sleeping, sports, wearing contacts etc.) Also, If you are veiwing a room in bad, or low lighting can trigger this as well. I have been dealing with this since I was 12 and have really had to focus on overcoming and reasoning with myself that I am in no real danger. It's nice now to not have every terrible scenario playout in my head and drive me into an unrealistic paranoia. If you have trouble sleeping the best thing to do is where a bandana or blindfold over your eyes. The less you see the less your mind thinks something is going to impact your eyes.

I have exactly the same thing. Examples include lying in bed and thinking the corner of the bedside table is going to poke me in the eye and then when I'm driving the feeling of the rear view mirror poking me in the eye. It can strike at any time and feel like everything is a cm away from my eye and is on the verge on poking me in the eye. So much so after a long period of it, it makes me feel like I'm going cross eyed. I do find wearing sunglasses helps or covering my eye with my hand. Nobody I've spoken to seems to have experienced this. I have episodes at least every day and I really hate it. Background, I don't need glasses and never have. Been on anti depressants and anti anxiety tablets for years and increasing the dose hasn't helped. I'm thinking of pursuing addressing the fear like any other phobia to see if that helps.

I'm here to commiserate with everyone here. I've had it since I was a kid and recently it's been worse. I wear contact lenses most of the time and occasionally I wear glasses. Sometimes the glasses are the problem. A few people have said it feels like everything is going to jump at their eyes, but for me it often feels more like I'm going to run my eyes into something.

yes i too have the same feeling. cant even think of anything poking my eye. i am afraid of wearing lense or even applying kajal to eyes. a lot my friends laugh on me because of this. i want to get rid of this fear. any proper term/treatment for this? i once consulted a psychiatrist but she was useless. this wsa just nothing

I have also experienced this issue since young childhood (5/6), I read online that it can be caused by something traumatic happening in your life to an eye.... Which makes sense, as when I was around that age I saw a junkie stick a needle into his eyeball under a bridge in Queensland while on a family holiday & my mother covered my eyes... To this day I find eye injury very cringe worthy I can't stand hearing about it at all.... Gives me the shivers, I also do too get uncontrollable flashes of fear of an object harming or injuring my eyes & I am very afraid of my eyes being injured, as much to say I won't be to close to any one thing, also afraid of blindness but more so eye injury, eye poking, some of the flashes are very scary & include blood, since having this problem from a young age I've learned through habbit to squint my eyes & protectively cover them with my hands while experiencing vivid visions & can eventually make them f**k off, it's quite annoying because it can be so random & you can sort of feel it coming on.... It is though harder to control the reaction if somebody is continuing a story about injury face to face & I've asked them to stop with my hands covering my face, that's when it's the worst, also experience it in bed, also experience it with fans, paper planes, pens, knives especially, scissors, all Thinags sharp really, can't deal with them being to close. There is a phobia of eyes, but not a phobia of just eye injury..

I have the exact same thing. when a pencil is pointed at my eye I blink like a crazy person and everyone stares

I can relate to this so much! I have amplyobia, so one of my eyes has perfect eyesight, but the other is pretty bad. Unfortunately, wearing glasses or having surgery doesn't help the vision because there's a problem with my eye's connection to my brain that wasn't diagnosed when I was younger. I get very scared that my left (good) eye will be poked out and that I'll be left with practically zero eyesight. Basically what happens, is that I see a sharp object and go into 'alert mode' if it comes any closer, I basically have a panic attack. I found that other people holding sharp objects make it significantly worse. Also, if I wear glasses, I feel terrified my glasses will break and the glass will poke out my eye. Sounds irrational but I feel so scared....

Ever since I was a child my eyes have been weird, if I saw the corner of a table or a point on a pencil it would feel like it is stabbing me in the eye. My parents thought I was crazy when I said ''there's points in my eye'' but that was the best way to explain it. This pain in my eye caused by points makes me want to instinctively look away and covering the points helps. But I have noticed that the more tired I am the worse it becomes, also whenever my contacts become not strong enough it becomes worse until I get a new perscription. I have looked high and low on the internets for answers but i only find more confused people searching for answers such as me. This can be really distracting such as watching tv and there's corners in the way but it is always comforting to no there are others like me suffering possibly worse than me.

i have the same i keep doing it i cant stop i need help