Hi there, my name is Mykael. I am pre op right now. I have STC and it is awful. The distention and bloating over the last couple years has caused Hiatal hernias and lower back ache and feeling of pressure. I take several kinds of laxative on a rotation. I am only 30 years old. I've had anorectal manomatry testing done already and my pelvic floor muscles are okay. I believe that means the chances of not needing a pouch are good, like you. My GI just refferred me Yale New Haven Medical Center for a marker test for motility, its a 5 day test where i eat several different types of radioactive isotopes overthe 5 days and on days 2 and 5 i go for mri to see progression of markers to determine where in my gi tract is not functioning correctly. This condition debilitates me I'd say 70-75% of my life. I've read a couple scary stories about people still have constipation after total colectomy. Freaks me out....but i think i know my body well enough to say i dont think that'll happen to me. When i take laxatives liquid pools in my lower right abdomen and gets stuck where the small intestine turns into my colon also my lower left too. I hope one day i will be able to live a half way comfort life. I'll reply after I have my procedure. Wont be for a couple months. I just wanted to respond to tell you i can relate. I hope all is well.

Me too. I can relate.

Hi, Did you go through with the surgery? If so, i would like to talk to you. I am making the decision now and appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

I'm in the same situation. I have done the marker tests, diagnosed with colonic inertia. I started on Linzess, it helps slightly. I am beginning to research the surgery. Would love to hear anything from anyone who can offer insight or advice.

When did you stop going to the bathroom 15 times a day? A couple of weeks? Months?

Hi, did you ever have the surgery?

Hi Valvo. I live in Australia and wish to know where you did your surgery, as I am about to go through the same journey. Thanks

Who was your surgeon and where is he or she located? I have colonic inertia and hirschprungs and would like to talk to a dr. who has performed the surgery.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Mine sounds similar to you. I just had mine on 8/25/2016. I stupidly indulged in popcorn at the movies today and am in so much pain tonight. Overall, I've had so much relief.

I had my surgery on 8/25/16 @ Cleveland Clinic Florida and am so grateful for finding my surgeon. She helped me to regain a more normal life. I need to be more careful with my diet though as sometimes I forget and do stupid things like eating a lot of popcorn which makes me have horrible stomach pains again.

Dr DaSilva @ Cleveland Clinic Florida for me.

Hello Jenn! I know this is old and you may not even see this but I just left my doctor and found out I have the same thing. I've been dealing with this for 9 years and lots and lots of doctors laughing at me. I go for my x-ray tomorrow on my stomach and small intestine so I can go forward with this surgery. I am beyond scared! I am so happy for you that you Finley have relief and pray you still have it!

I am 43 and have colonic inertia and gastroparesis. I live off laxitives, for years and they are failing. I took 5 ducolax yesterday, 2 caps of miralax, and 2 mineral oil. And did same today plus enema. It's been over a week since BM , I feel like I'm pregnant. I believe I will be seeing surgeon soon. I'm scared I will just be going constantly instead of never.

My name is Brigette and I am 30 years old. I have been diagnosed with colonic inertia and have been told by my colon specialist/surgeon that I am a "candidate" for surgery. My other areas appear to be working fine: however, this is only focusing on stomach, small intestine, and rectal area. I do have stomach issues, but none concerning the small intestine apparently. I am not really getting a lot of information from anyone in his office or my gastro's office. I have concerns because I am not a healthy individual in the sense of genetic/autoimmune issues. I have adrenal insufficiency, osteopenia, GERD, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, migraines, muscle spasm, chronic pain, chronic fatigue, anxiety, depression, etc. My body has been horrible since I was born. I have been fighting for so long with this constipation issue, but now that there is a solution, I am scared because I am looking at the entire picture and not just the constipation. I don't know what to do or how to approach this issue. There isn't a lot of information online and I really believe that this is genetic/autoimmune related as are most of my health issues. Any help from anyone would be so appreciated. All of my health issues have been properly diagnosed and I am taking my meds, doing my treatments, eating healthy when I eat, and I am limited to very little activity. I have managed to complete a Master's Degree in Business Administration: however, it took everything I had. I just don't know what to do.

I have been so pleased to find your posting. After suffering from severe constipation all my life my bowel completely stopped working for itself when I was pregnant 21 years ago. I have tried every type of diet change and every laxative on the market including the new ones, proculopride and lubiprostone. I now get by with peristeen, dulcolax and fleet enemas. I have to make the decision to have my colon removed or carry on the way I am. I feel that I am between the devil and the deep blue sea. I am terrified of having a stoma or being incontinent but also can't see how I can continue into old age the way I am. I am 61 years old, still have to work full time in an office and have practiced advanced yoga for 20 years and need to know that I will be able to continue. Ideally I would have keyhole surgery and my small bowel will be stapled to my rectum. Worst scenario, key hole goes wrong and they cut my stomach open and I wake up with a colostomy bag. I welcome any advice.