Hi, I'm 17 year old guy and I've been feeling sort of lighheaded/dizzy and have had what I call a tingling in my chest for about 1 1/2 months. I have just moved to a completely new area and don't know anybody and it's very different than where I had been. I had been feeling sort of lethargic and then one night I smoked pot for my first (and last) time with some friends and had a really bad experience. I've have this lightheadedness since then. I remember I had a tingling in the back of my head the day after I smoked the pot...like the back of my head was numb. The lightheadedness continued long enough for me to start freaking out and I went to the doctor, they took blood tests and chest X-rays and basically looked me over. I guess I'm 100% physically healthy. I thought I had a terminal illness and I had a cough. But then I started reading about panic attacks/anxiety. Can anyone tell me if this seems like a reasonable diagnosis for my symptoms? If so, what can I do to relax and when can I expect to return to a feeling of normalcy? Could this all be all in my head? Everybody has gotten tired or listening to me complain about my symptoms and tell me to just relax and turn my brain off...but I guess I don't know how to do that. Any insight from anybody would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

It sounds like your just having some anxiety issues. I had the same thing happen when I moved to a new city to. I
m sure the pot didn't help things either so I would stay away from that.

The best bit of advice I could recommend is just stay busy and try to not let your mind wander. That way you will get over these anxiety issues.

Hope that helps

Yeah, that's sort of the same conclusion that's what friends and family were telling me. So I guess I just need to learn to relax. And I'm definitely staying away from pot. It was a very bad experience for me...not fun at all.

Thank you for the advice and insight.

Much appreciated.

Take care.

Hi bob, as someone who suffered from GAD, I can tell you to stay away from pot AND caffeine. Both will really mess with you if you're anxious. Also, even though keeping busy is a good idea, I can tell you that it will not help in the long run with anxiety. There's a reason you're feeling anxious, and it's something underlying that you need to take care of. Have you considered therapy? I know you may not be right now but it can really help with anxiety. What do you think?

Well, I think that it's just moving to a new area and having to start all over with stuff again. How do they treat GAD? I don't think I had it before, more than 1 1/2 ago...so is it something that you think will just work itself out as I adjust to being in a new place? What can I do to get "back to normal?"

GAD is generalized anxiety disorder and there's a number of treatments for it. I went to a therapist--which I highly recommend--and it helped me cope with a lot of my issues. I went to a therapist who specializes in CBT, which is a very effective way to treat. I know that there's a stigma to going to a therapist, but if you are serious about getting back to normal, go see one. IT can be very very helpful. Does that make sense?

Yeah, that does make sense. Also, could it be "adjustment disorder"? Symptoms of that seem to be similar to what I'm experiencing. How long does it take for therapy to be affective?

To be honest, I was REALLY intent on getting better. I stopped having panic attacks within a month, although I'd estimate it took even less than that. Once I called the therapist, I had a panic attack goign to see him and then they seemed to get less and less after that. Do you have one in mind?

It's possible it could be an adjustment disorder, although you know what that is? Just another name for GAD. I'd leave the diagnoses to a therapist.

Alright. Thanks a lot. I'll look into seeing a therapist. Thanks for the advice.

bob1 wrote:

Absolutely no problem at all. I'm glad that you're considering it. Please let me know if you need any more advice or if you have any other concerns, okay? :)

I attribute allot of my gains in reading books on self help countless hours, I bet you could do the same with a couple visits to a proffesional there here to help! just watch that show obsessed those pros really change lives

B

Sometimes I worry that it IS a brain tumor...although I really don't think it is. I haven't had any major problems (i.e. cognitive problems, change in personality, extreme dizziness..etc.) or been exposed to solvents or been exposed to cell phones more than most people...or really anything else from what I read about brain tumors. This just makes me more worried I guess. But it doesn't seem like a brain tumor to any of you? It just seems like GAD or something like that? Thanks for the advice, B. I've been talking to people and reading up on stuff, it makes me feel better.

You should take into consideratoin the chances of you having a brain tumor, there something close to 1 in 100,000 or even less chance so most likely not! GAD prob not either, your probably just under stress and thats a new thing to deal with. Once you becom familiar with your surrondings and make an effort to feel better via exercise meditation hobby sports whatever even stargazing you get the drift get off the internet stop thinking about what it could be and live your life and it will pass, see a doctor to calm your rediculously ludicrus connections between how you feel and what it could be, ive been there done that, just be proactive keep posting especially once you feel better

B

Thanks a lot. You guys are helping me a lot. I'm feeling better lately. Thanks for everything.

So glad to hear that you're doing so well! It sounds like you're much happier and less stressed. Are you looking into therapists or are oyu really laid back and relaxed now? Let me know how you're doing if you have a moment. THanks!