A few weeks ago, I started having really bad panic attacks every time I smoked pot. At first I didn't know what it was, but after doing some research, it was clear that the episodes were textbook panic attacks. There was no emotional stress that set it off; I've accepted that pot is directly and primarily the causing factor. I've also been told caffeine is a big factor, and I drink upwards of 80 ounces of coffee a day. I also have really bad insomnia. I wonder if that's from so much coffee. . . ? Haha! I guess I've got kind of a bad combination of drugs to be abusing. Lol.

Anyway, here's what I'm asking: Will I ever be able to smoke again?

I've been searching for hours for the answer to that question, and no one seems willing to provide an answer. The only responses are a number of variations of "just say no." So, yeah, I got that part. Loud and clear.

And I haven't smoked again for the last 2 months, and I've been able to drastically reduced my caffeine intake over that time. I really am doing what I know I have to do to take care of myself.

But I'm thinking that maybe once I detox, I can manage smaller quantities of the drugs, say, by cutting back from 20 bowls and 500 ounces a week, to 1 bowl and 80 ounces a week. I know I've been abusing the drugs really badly, so I'm really not shocked that something bad came of it.

So is this a permanent condition, or a temporary symptom of drug abuse that can be controlled with moderation?

I am not going to scream at you just say no. But you are not going to be doing yourself any favors trying to smoke pot and drink caffeine. Unfortunately, if you want to stop having panic attacks, you really need to scale back on both. Now to be honest with you, I have had panic attacks in the past and I can still drink caffeine, but only on occasion. I don't smoke pot, but I know it works the same way. But you have to successfully quit both of them for awhile to let your brain chemistry stabilize. Does that make sense? I hope I'm not Nancy Reaganing you here, just trying to help. Let me know, okay?

Has your panic attacks subsided now that you've been off for two months? I think allot has to do with how well you're body can re-estalish itself.

Just as a quick aside but I don't know if the panic attacks would be able to subside with drinking that much caffeine. I know that my GAD did not really have a good chance to go away until I got done drinking that too.