My son has been complaining of minor tummy pain (located near belly button), he's 9.  He is active in all sports (wrestling, baseball currently).  Last night throughout the night he was waking up with this pain-  sent him to school as there was nothing else associated with it.  School called & said he looked pale, asked to sit out of phy. ed (which is not normal) & so I called the doctor- my husband took him in & they are suspecting 2nd hernia.. he had surgery last year for one & recovered quickly & was fine.  They are doing an ultrasound tomorrow.  However, as the day is moving on-  he's hardly able to walk as he's in so much pain-  it's progressing fast.  They couldn't feel the hernia but said lymph nodes are swollen  in the area & it hurt when they pushed so they want to double check with ultrasound.  Is it possible they are missing appendix?  I don't want to sit on this.....    Any ideas?

Hi Guest,

It may be his appendix but a fairly common problem in children is mesenteric lymphadenitis.  Basically, there is a membrane that holds his digestive tract in place.  Sometimes this membrane gets infected and the lymph nodes swell.  It CAN mimic his appendix.  Since they are feeling swollen lymph nodes, this is a good possibility.  While it can be caused by a number of things, it often is caused by a bacterial infection.

Does he have a fever?

Try to keep him comfortable and hydrated.  Even if he doesn't feel like eating he needs fluids.  If the pain becomes severe or you notice other symptoms seek medical attention.

Hang in there.  I hope he feels better soon.

Thank you- Apparently he feels better when laying down, can hardly walk or sit. After laying low for a few hours, my husband was able to push on same spot & there wasn't pain. No fever. Just felt nausated througout the night with this pain. We go tomorrow at 3:30 to rule out another hernia. Sitting is almost impossible for him though.

Hi Guest,

Is there any update?

Thanks! No hernia- which is good but nothing else said other than needing to go back for blood/urine sample due to grey urine in ultrasound- should be black! I don't get it. Our doc is out if town until next week. Ugh!!!

Thanks for the update. I'm glad it's not a hernia.

Hang in there, good luck!