I thought I'd write this post to help a few people out. I think it's something worth noting at least.

I should probably tell you a bit about my situation to begin with. I'm a girl aged 18 and I started chronically smoking weed aged 16. I've been trying to quit for the last few months or so because I feel like it's messing up my life. It's probably worth mentioning though that I'm a straight A student at university doing a degree in psychology. Smoking weed has never really had a negative impact on my academic life (sometimes I think it even helps me take stuff in - like How High haha) but I've become extremely anxious and my social life has suffered drastically as a result. I used to be free spirited and fun and always partying. Now I can't even enjoy myself on a night out because I'm too tuned out (even when I haven't been smoking) probably as a result of depersonalization. Either way it's not nice and I don't feel like me anymore.

But the point of this post is to show that the horrible marijuana withdrawal symptoms - terrible mood, depressed, rage, feeling crazy etc. are all in your head. I know this personally because I've stopped smoking weed before (for 4 months). I was going on holiday last August for a week and I knew I wouldn't be able to smoke any weed. I was smoking around 10 joints a day at this point and was worried I was going to freak out with my friends and just be a general as****e the whole time I was there. This thought was literally on my mind constantly because it had happened so many times before with my boyfriend when I'd tried to stop smoking or couldn't get any. I'd turn into the most unpleasant, quick-tempered, nastiest person ever and I'm not like that at all usually. I remember the horrible sneer I used to pull and I knew at the time I was being unreasonable but I couldn't stop it. I was honestly like a child throwing a temper in a sweet shop and I hated myself for it. It made me feel so low afterwards because I knew he didn't deserve it. And he put up with it time and time again. That's how bad it was. I didn't feel like I was addicted to weed. My "withdrawal symptoms" were so extreme it was more like I was addicted to class A's. 

I tried to quit before my holiday but kept making excuses for myself and putting it off. Eventually the day came and I hadn't managed to kick it. I smoked my last joint and boarded the plane. But (and I completely didn't expect this) the whole time I was on holiday it honestly didn't bother me once. I wasn't angry or depressed or anything like the way I had been before. I was happy. I felt like me again. It was honestly like a black cloud had lifted from my life and my perception of life. My personality was back and I was going out my friends and having a great time.

This is because weed is not physically addictive. Even the symptoms that did occur - vivid dreams, lack of appetite - I believe to be caused by the fact that I'd been constantly altering my brain for so long and it was trying to readjust to its normal state, I don't believe them to be directly down to weed. With lack of appetite I think that's because weed affects your appetite and, similar to sleeping pills affecting your sleeping patterns, you can become dependent on weed to give you an appetite, just as you can become dependent on sleeping pills to get to sleep. I didn't have problems with insomnia, although that could be down to the fact that I was drinking every night. 

Weed is psychologically addictive. This means that you think you need it because you've developed a psychological dependency on it. It's your coping mechanism. You use it to forget your problems rather than deal with them. That's why it's easier for people who just smoke it to get high and have a good time with friends to quit than it is for those who smoke it for different reasons, such as to cope with anxiety or other problems. That's why it was always easy for my boyfriend to quit. He never needed it like I did (or thought I did). 

I know some might argue that the reason why I was okay when I was on holiday was because I was on holiday but even when I came home I was able to resist the temptation (for a while, that is). I really believe however, that if those symptoms were certain to occur, (because they weren't all in my head) it wouldn't have mattered where I was. I would still have freaked out because the depression that quitting weed used to bring on was so severe that I didn't care about anything or anyone else. I think the reason it didn't bother me was because these symptoms are all in the mind and when I knew I couldn't get any weed, I accepted it and got on with things, instead of moping.

That's the mindset you need to have if you're actually serious about quitting and if you actually want to deep down (which is probably the most important thing). One that looks towards the future and is focused on what you want to achieve, instead of one that expects you to freak out and act like an as****e. Tell yourself you're going to be fine (but really believe it) and actually go out there and be fine. Because it definitely is possible. My experience is proof of that. I believe that quitting smoking (or addiction in general) is so much simpler than we make it out to be; we just make it difficult for ourselves by believing it's going to be difficult. If you consider the action of quitting weed, all that has to be done is to abstain from it - forget the thought processes that come along with it. In this case, they only add complexity where complexity is not needed and provide barriers (created by us) which we then make ourselves jump. 

Hopefully this will help some people. I might write more posts describing my experiences with weed/other drugs because it's kinda fascinating and the internet is seriously lacking in in-depth information on personal drug experiences. There's loads of stuff on drug experiences but they're too broad. Maybe, like me, there are other people who are interested in the psychological side of drug use and the strange, psychedelic thoughts that seem to accompany it. 

I complete agree with what you are saying. I had the exact same experience when I went on holiday I think you are 100% right! Also I fine smoking out of plastic bottles which I was doing a lot gave me headaches to.

Yes, you're right, it's mostly psychological in my opinion. I am still trying to get an overall picture, maybe you feel like joining in as you are schooled for it.

I am currently much into mindbody symptoms (MBS, also called TMS). It is an empiric found theory that your mind can produce all sorts of physical pain and discomfort (and why not, most body processes are controlled by the brain) or depression/anxiety, all caused by repressed emotions of inner rage (angry at yourself about guilt, anxiety, dependency, perfectionism, goodism or angry at others). If you apply this to smoking cannabis or withdrawal from cannabis, it suddenly becomes pretty obvious why physical symptoms arise.

For example, you normally repress emotions by smoking weed. When the emotions build to a certain level and/or you are unable to smoke enough to be able to repress them (for example from building tolerance or from becoming anxious from too much weed) the mind can start to create distractions in the form of mindbody symptoms to keep those emotions from surfacing. If you search the forum you see all kinds being reported, backpain, gastrointestinal problems*, muscle pain, depression, anxiety etc.

When you withdraw I can see the following happen. First the numb mind suddenly has to deal with all kind of emotions that are at risk of rising to the surface, reality kicks in, bad dreams are very common. It tries to disctract you by creating physical pain, discomfort, anxiety or depression. It makes you yearn for a joint to stop those emotions from surfacing and even better, when you start again the symptoms dissappear!. If you push through, most emotions will have surfaced at some time, the time it takes depends on how messed up your mind is, and after a while you start feel better because the mind no longer needs to disctract you with MBS. However, this theory contradicts the holiday-experience. Probably the holiday itself creates enough distraction for your mind to not start physical ones.... once you're home and the holiday feeling is fading, symptoms will start to appear or you will start smoking again...

Acknowleding the psychological cause and using positive affirmations (mind you, telling yourself that once you're home you can smoke again or that you will quit (yeah, right) are also positive affirmations) are very important in the strategy to overcome mindbody symptoms. So you're right about that. It might make withdrawal easier, but as bms is such a powerful mechanism I would not be surprised if one still experiences some physical symptoms.

If a tobacco addict isn't able to smoke, like for example in an airplaine, he often feels relaxed. The mind knows it is pointless to mess with your thoughts in order to go smoking, because it just isn't possible. Moreover you sooth yourself by knowing you can smoke as soon as you land. As soon as the first oppurtinity comes in sight, seeing the exit at the airport, the urge suddenly rises. I have experienced your holiday-lack-of-withdrawal-from-weed myself and so has a friend of mine. It didn't work for my tobacco addiction, because you can buy cigarettes everywhere. It is said to be easier to withdraw from tobacco on holiday because you are more distracted by the whole experience, but that the real battle starts when you're home again.

*i am still not sure about this one, as it is scientifically proven that THC inhibits gastrointestinal motility, moreover many users have a pretty bad diet...

I completely agree with you on this one! I quit anti depressants (was on them from age 13 to 24), alcohol ( I was a deemed a "helpless alcoholic"), heroin ( I shot, IV, a gram a day), cigarettes (pack a day smoker), and caffeine all cold turkey. The last one to go was marijuana and let me assure you, their are NO physical withdrawal symptoms. It's all in your head. Either someone convinces these people or they convince themselves that they are experiencing these "ailments." Get your mind off of it (remember mind of matter) don't focus on it! That's the problem, get up and get out! Go for a walk, masturbate, do anything and you will see these "symptoms" are all in your head.

There´s a mind that is outside the brain and there is a "inferior" mind that is the brain. What you all are calling "head" is the brain. The brain is physical but controls mental processes. The major compound in marijuana (THC) mimics the natural Anandamide produced by our body like morphine mimics endorphin. When our body becomes used to THC the Anandamide production is no longer regulated and needs time to go back to normal. The mental process and stress created by lack of THC is triggered by physical changes in the brain. Lack of Anandamide give all marijuana withdrawal symptoms: physical, mental, emotional, doesn´t matter.....the trigger for all of them is physical you like it or not. You can believe is in your "head", you can believe in anything you want but it´s physical. And if you still have a doubt or disagree, smoke something like Amnesia Haze everyday more than a gram for more than an year and than try to quit. I want you to say "it´s all in the head" after this...

But the majority of marijuana in many places I know almost don´t have THC but have a lot of other cannabinoids that don´t give euphoria and attenuates the effects of THC. Withdrawals of weak buds are not so strong and taking the mind off the symptoms is a great tool. But if you are addicted to strong hydro you will feel so bad physically that sometimes no good thoughts will be able to change your sickness. For example a have 2 types of weed at home. One I can smoke 1, 2, 3, 4, 5....and go on but the another one makes a normal person freak out if smoke a whole joint and i´m slowing down so i don´t smoke things like this everyday anymore. 

It´s simple, I don´t know how the world still in this conversation of psycological effects.

Cocaine has the same problem. A lot of doctors say cocaine is not physical addicting because the majority of symptoms are mental and emotional. That´s BS. It´s physical changes in the brain and changes in the brain can manifests as body symptoms, mental or emotional symptoms. What happens with heroin and other opiates is that the effects of this kind of drug is too much on the body. THC affects the mind much more than opiates but opiates give much more corporal effects so the withdrawal is obviously more corporal.

The best to do withdrawaling is: don´t keep focusing on the symptoms. Try to take your mind out of it. It will help but the symptoms are still triggered by physical changes.

Maybe we should stop drawing a line between physical and mental/psychological then, because it is really impossible if you ask me. Therefore I think it is better to just talk about the body, and all interactions in it are physical, even the mind is, whatever it is or where it is located.. Trying to define what the mind is.... good luck with that one... :)
The only thing I can say, based on empiric evidence, is that the state you are in is largely defined by what the mind wants it to be... I do agree that the more you f@ck up this mind, by smoking stronger weed, the harder it is to get it back to a comfortable state. It could well be that this is simply due to ananamide regulation that is too messed up and that therefore mind control is not adequate enough during the first days or weeks of withdrawal. Or you could say that this mechanism is part of the "mind process". Does it really matter? It doesn't change the conclusion.

You have a good point about weak bud f@cking up your mind less. It has to do with the lack of (enough) CBD (cannabidiol) in high grade strains, due to growers developing strains that only tend to focus on THC production and forget about the important effects of CBD to keep the mind at ease. There may be more substances that have an important influence though.

I am still a bit bothered about the lack-of-withdrawal-while-on-vacation.... I remember the weed I smoked back then was Dutch grown hydro weed. Not weak stuff if you ask me, although I wasn't smoking more than half a gram a day, which would classify me as an intermediate smoker, not a heavy smoker... the growers out here in cloggy land were/are reknowned for creating some highly potent weed strains, as most of it has to be grown under artificial light and therefore THC production is key to earn money. Now I analyzed it, you may be right, I was not pot head enough for my mind to be not able to keep me in a comfortable state. The chemicals in my brain from being on holiday were adequeate to keep me at ease. It doesn't however fit in the picture of the thread starter, who I think is a heavy smoker, although I can't tell what strain she smokes.

please reply, I find this an interesting subject..

@Hey MegAdam

I saw some posts of you and seems to me that you are a smart person. Nice to talk to you.

The key for this "holidays question" is the half-life of the drug. Note that the thread starter told that was ok on holidays and could resist the temptation when back home (BUT JUST FOR A WHILE). Why? Because Half-life of THC is something around 13 days. Some heavy smokers will only have the real withdrawal symptoms after 3 or 4 weeks without THC.

Just to compare, someone spoke about heroin for example. Heroin (diamorphine) has the shorter half-life of famous drug: less than 2 hs like morphine that has little longer like 3 hs. That´s why even the addicted that is not heavy will experience withdrawal  some hours after the last dose and in the case of THC the beggining and the peak will be much much later. The peak of opiates withdrawal  is around 3 days. The peak of THC is 1 month. Now consider that marijuana is not only THC, is a "mix of drugs" but many people don´t know that.  

Other examples: Xanax and Klonopin. 2 benzos. Xanax´s hal-life is 6 hours and klonopin´s is 34-36hs. That´s why many who take  klonopin everyday say that can be one day or more without it with no problems. That´s because the drug is still circulating in the system. After 3 days withdrawal symtpoms strike. The person think that is having an anxiety created by a situation of life or by psychological issues but the problem is simple: the body is asking for the drug. Who are addicted to xanax don´t stay ok for so long, 12 hs after the last dose the person is already feeling withdrawal symptoms.

When the withdrawal of a drug comes and peak long after the person stops taking it, this person don´t link the symptoms to the lack of the drug. The person thinks that the problem is a flu, an infection, anxiety created by life or psychological issues but and the drug? If you ask, this person will say: "No! the drug i already quit weeks ago, no problem at all!" but the symptoms this person is experiencing is actually the withdrawal of the drug.

In the case of short half-life drugs, even a monkey would note that it is experiencing withdrawal symptoms but with long half-life drugs the symptoms get you when you think you already won the battle. And than the "monster" gets you back.

Marijuana is a trippy and tricky drug.

@Hey MegAdam

The key for this "holidays question" is the half-life of the drug. Note that the thread starter told that was ok on holidays and could resist the temptation when back home (BUT JUST FOR A WHILE). Why? Because Half-life of THC is something around 13 days. Some heavy smokers will only have the real withdrawal symptoms after 3 or 4 weeks without THC.

Just to compare, someone spoke about heroin for example. Heroin (diamorphine) has the shorter half-life of famous drug: less than 2 hs like morphine that has little longer like 3 hs. That´s why even the addicted that is not heavy will experience withdrawal some hours after the last dose and in the case of THC the beggining and the peak will be much much later. The peak of opiates withdrawal is around 3 days. The peak of THC is 1 month. Now consider that marijuana is not only THC, is a "mix of drugs" but many people don´t know that.

Other examples: Xanax and Klonopin. 2 benzos. Xanax´s hal-life is 6 hours and klonopin´s is 34-36hs. That´s why many who take klonopin everyday say that can be one day or more without it with no problems. That´s because the drug is still circulating in the system. After 3 days withdrawal symtpoms strike. The person think that is having an anxiety created by a situation of life or by psychological issues but the problem is simple: the body is asking for the drug. Who are addicted to xanax don´t stay ok for so long, 12 hs after the last dose the person is already feeling withdrawal symptoms.

When the withdrawal of a drug comes and peak long after the person stops taking it, this person don´t link the symptoms to the lack of the drug. The person thinks that the problem is a flu, an infection, anxiety created by life or psychological issues but and the drug? If you ask, this person will say: "No! the drug i already quit weeks ago, no problem at all!" but the symptoms this person is experiencing is actually the withdrawal of the drug.

Marijuana is a trippy and tricky drug.

Hi guest,

Could you register? You sound like you know one or two things, but I can't read back your posts to see what you are all about... :)

I think I understand your story. I need to think about all of this and will get back to you later, I am just too tired right now.

cya later

You already know me. I´m Tigerman. Or Bird. It´s complicated to talk in this forum because intteligent people are rare here. In another topic i talked about the possibility of large amounts of pure THC eaten all at once kill somebody an there are people until today saying that i said marijuana kills. People don´t have enough brain to understand that marijuana is not pure THC. So sometimes i don´t understand myself because seems to me that i´m trying to help who don´t want any help or who don´t even know the drug that has been using for years.

After our conversation, i´ll probably stop posting here. You are very nice to talk but majority of people here have only half of your brain. We can continue the conversation in this topic or other place but I will not post anymore topics or replies in other topics. I´m done. That´s why I will not register and my last account I lost.

@MegAdam

After our conversation, i´ll probably stop posting here. You are very nice to talk but majority of people here have only half of your brain. We can continue the conversation in this topic or other place but I will not post anymore topics or replies in other topics. I´m done. That´s why I will not register and my last account I lost.

I have been searching the Internet, for an answer, for anything in a hope to calm my anxious, racing and dark mind. I am lying in bed 2:30am, feeling super depressed, thinking too much about mortality, and not even close to sleeping. I went to bed 4 hours ago and sleep, which has usually been a bastion of peace is nowhere to be found, I am feeling so restless and awake, I feel too hot but it's 3 degrees (Celsius) outside. Over the past few days, I also feel like nothing is going well, quitting doesn't feel good, I feel like my social life is crumbling and nothing is going right, no matter my efforts to get back on track. I abruptly stopped smoking bud 2 days ago after 6 months of smoking everyday and night. This article literally snapped me out of the crazy ride my brain was taking me on, I was questioning life, what I would do now with my friends? What did we do before that? Am I a drug addict? I felt worthless, but I'm only on the 2nd night of not smoking, I still can't sleep but at least this article gave me my sanity back. I wish I could thank you in person. I am writing this now at 2:46am 22nd July 2013 from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. My symptoms of withdrawal are: - Anxiety - Intense Depression - Sweaty palms and feet - Intense insomnia - a general feeling of discontent (during the day and night) I could go on but there's so many, anyone who reads this, you can get through I thought of suicide, of my sadness if my family died, literally the worst stuff and I couldn't stop it, was I going to think like this from now on? No. I read this article, and I still can't sleep, and I'm still too hot, but thanks to this person, I feel sane, safe and happy. :)

f*****g id**t, symptoms arise after a month?

I've struggled with the same issues how am I going to be when I don't have any? Alot of road rage really.. And just quick tempered and fault finding just too critical like nothing could ever be right...

DISAGREE and Agree I've smoked for 8 years. Sober as a duck for 2 years now. I think the withdrawal experience is different for a person that's been smoking using pot for nearly a decade. Your brain chemical changes. Was in stoner mode for 8 years. First month was hell, after a year you'll notice difference. Just say ur adapting bodies is trying to function without weed. The another year pass. Yes ur right it's all in the mind, one can psych themself to say I'm only feeling this because i quitted pot. But dealing without ur brain releasing its own endorphins is hard. When you went on a holiday before so you were tripping? Lol - dopamine/endorphins released happy :) During holiday was there alcohol? Substitute happy lol Hanging out with friends... Endorphins - happy If I get it right you got back home and spark a joint? Endorphins all in the mind. Yes it's all in the mind but you quitted for let's say how long? I appreciate personal experiences and see you trying to help. Stay clean for 2 years and let me know how you doing. Then post ur experience with withdrawal. Don't waste ur life smoking weed kid. I'm no Dr, rehabilitationist, psychologist... All purely based on what I went thru and a few others that quitted the same time I wish everyone here good luck and stay positive with their goal of quitting. Don't worry after 2 years your mind will be much better and clearer.