I have a 28 female friend, G0 patient. I know her for 5years, reasonable, smart and compliant. On a routine GYN exam and she found out that she has 21 pound weight gain. It happened over the last year. She has a family history of NIDDM. I reviewed her diet and exercise regimen and it is very reasonable. In fact some would say the diet is a little less than she should eat. Doctor put her on the Atkins diet and placed her on Metformin based on her family history. She slowly loses weight. I would like to know has anyone else using Metformin in this manner, based on family history and unexplained weight gain?

I was on Metformin, but not for the same reason. I started with Metformin 500 TID with meals. I place all on low carb/high protein diets and start Metformin with dinner till adjusted. Then I added breakfast then lunch last. I waited 3 months before considering restarting CC. Now, I start after one month. For my second line I used Actos for its QD dosing and suggestion of possible lipid benefet vs Avandia.