Hello everyone. I recently moved in to a dorm. I have a roommate , but she is not as friendly as I was hoping. She barely talks, we spoke 15 sentences in a week. I find it very hard to adjust to that. Last week, she told me she was following the goddess diet (which is good since she really needs to lose some pounds). When I asked her to tell me more about it, she just pretended like she didn’t hear me. It looks to me like she doesn’t like to talk about it…or to talk at all. Anyway, if there is anybody here who knows something about this diet, please tell me what is she not allowed to eat. I keep bringing food in our room and I feel that that might be bothering her a little. I would really like to know what foods she cannot eat so I can avoid bringing them in the room.

So sorry about that. I had the exact same situation when I was in college. I was so happy I got a room with only two beds, and then when I met my roommate…:/  Luckily she was there only for a few months, then I got a new one, who is now one of my best friends.

As for your problem, there are a lot of stuff that you need to avoid to eat in front of her. Don’t eat junk food, hamburgers, pancakes, ice creams, chocolate, pizza or anything similar to this.

You should also avoid soft drinks.  And never offer her any of these.

Oh, I completely forgot about this diet. I read Anita Revel’s book long time ago, and after reading it I felt very motivated and wanted to start with this diet as soon as possible. I don’t know what happened, but I never actually started following that diet program. I guess I am too lazy.

If I remember well, she had this part in her book when she is talking about dairy products. She says we should totally ditch them. And not only the ones that are lactose-intolerant, but all of us. She says that dairy products contain some protein that is not very easy to digest.

Avoiding lactose is very common, not only among the people who are allergic to it.

And yes, that is true. Dairy products contain a protein called caseine that is a bit hard to digest. And the milk contains an amino acid called tryptophan that can have a sedative effect. So it is not such a bad idea to ditch out dairy products, but keep in mind you are giving up the calcium with it. And you are probably aware of the importance of calcium for your body, so you can find another way to recompense it. For example you can eat more green leafy vegetables, poppy seeds, beans, sesame and peas. 

Yes, dairy products, wheat. Do you happen to know is she allergic to gluten? Many people are, but they don’t even know that since the symptoms can be very subtle.  If she is following this diet right, she is probably avoiding wheat (because of the gluten). That is the reason why she is probably avoiding processed food. You would be surprised how many processed foods contain wheat.

She also needs to avoid bad fats which are found in dairy, eggs, meat and seafood. Instead of those she is allowed to consume good fats found in peanut, sesame, flaxseed, olive oil etc. 

Thank you all.

Sounds like this diet is very restrictive.

Regine_Phalange, I have no idea if she’s allergic to gluten, we barely talk. I noticed she doesn’t eat bananas, I tried to convince her to eat one, back when I had no idea that she is on a diet. She got really upset and answered she can’t have one. And then she kept staring at me while I was eating it and I felt very uncomfortable. Weird girl.

Do you know is she allowed to eat other fruits and vegetables? And what about fries? I often buy those, I am kind of addicted.