I am a guy in good overall health but I have a problem for more than 10 years (can´t remember exact origin), which most common docters find hard to find a answer for.

What is my problem: I feel a muscle spasm on my left side of my neck shoulder region. It intensifies when I speak. There are a few symptons which I can clearly feel (also with my fingers) and see in the mirror when I speak. The first is that the Omohyoid muscle, which is atached to the Scapula and the Hyoid bone becomes tense whenever I speak. Also the muscles on the left side above the Hyoid Bone, the Digastric and Stylohyoid muscle, thighten whenever I speak. A seccond observation is that whenever I hold the Hyoid Bone with my fingers in place and try to speak the muscles do not tighten. But I do not know if that is the origin of the problem. Could the problem I have also originate from the the shoulder area where the omohyoid muscle is connected. Beceause usually the neck shoulder area also feels a bit strange when I am for example typing. But again that could also be because of the omohyoid musle is in bad shape because off for example a problem in the hyoid bone.

I know this story sounds a bit complex, but in essence it is simple. Let me refrase: I have 3 clear interconnected symptoms, that are all on the left side. Whenever I speak I can feel cramp in the tonguebase that is connected to the hyoid bone and I can feel (with my fingers) that the omohyoid muscle, which is connected from the other side to the hyoid bone, is thightening whenever I speak. That I feel this cramp whenever I speak is because of movement of the hyoid bone, because when I hold this bone in place at least the omohyoid muscle is not reacting. But does this also mean that this is the origin of my problem? As I said, I also feel a rather vague and strange feeling in my shoulder, whenever I type or us my left arm. So one of my theories is that the the omohyoid muscle is pulled down a bit by the scapula and when I speak the hyoid bone pulles on the other side, and makes it tence. But again this is a theory and maybe the strange feeling in the neck shoulder region is from the hyoid bone pulling the muscle. Or maybe there is another explanation.

My question to you is what can you make of this story and what are possible explanations for this problem?

For the good order, I have no serious back or neck injuries, at least as far as xray pictures can show me and my vocal cords are in good health. The only serious operation I have ever had was that my toncils where removed a few years ago.

Hope someone can help me,

With kind regards

I have the same problem! it drive me crazy...

What you are saying makes a lot of sense. Is your left shoulder rounded down and forward, by chance? If so, one related issue may be the motor recruitment of the muscles that stabilize your scapula, especially your lower and middle trapezius muscles.  The omohyoid affects the scapula; perhaps the scapula affects it as well. To test it out, squeeze your shoulder blades together making particular effort to use the left shoulder blade muscles. Now talk and see what difference you experience, if any. If you notice that the left side  scapular muscles are harder to recruit than the right, that might confirm that it is a contributing issue. Scapular stabilization (middle and lower trapezius muscles, not the rhomboids or lats) may be helpful.

Hi, i have the same issue and it has been with me for 15 years or so. I've tried lots of stuff to try and fix it. Would love to chat sometime.  Ken

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Hi! I can't see your email adress.
I apologize for grammar mistakes, english it's not my language.
I have good news: i fixed my problem last week. I 've had my omohyoid muscle injected with botox.
The next step will be to remove dinitly the muscle with a surgery.
I have my life back!!

I spoke too soon.

I have some releaf but the muscular tension in the hyoid bone remains...

I think I've solved my problem.
I received an injection of botox in my left posterior digastric muscle and within two days my symptoms have gone almost completely.
Can speak now freely and without any effort.

I hope this can be helpful to others with similar condition.

I have the same problem.

Every time I talk it's like I'm using only muscles in the left side. My voice is very weak.

Can u please please help me I have had this for six months and it ia killing me please respond pleaae

Hi. Was the relief just temporary or you still feel ok?

Unfortunately the relief was temporary and after a bit others muscles started to pull in my left side. I'm now considering it is a multifactorial issue due to gerd (lpr), nerve problem and tmj. The culprit seems to be the reflux because I wake up EVERY morning with my left side of throat sore. Drugs like omeprazole, esomeprazole ect..made me only more sick and feeling worse. Zantac works a bit. I notice that the very few mornings I wake up without sore throat the problem is much more menageable. Is it the same for you? It's so hard to cope with such strange symptoms.

Have you benn checked for Eagle's Syndrome. If not, get a CT scan to see if you have elongated styloid process and/or calcified stylohyoid ligaments. 

hi, i'm kenny516.  havent been on here for awhlie.  I've had my issue for 15 years and have mainly associated it to tmj.  Ive tried lots of stuff, most of it didn't work. One thing i find works pretty well is taking a TENS unit and placing it directly on the front of my throat. Ends up relaxing a lot of the muscles and freeing up my voice quite a bit...

Hi, contact me. Looking forward to hearing from you