This post is an extension of the

"Spasm" feeling in chest, no pain involved thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

Well I too am glad to have found this thread. I have had the spasm feeling in my chest in exactly the same way as some of the other posters have described. I'm 37 and have been a pretty heavy smoker for many years and eat a lot of fast food so I was already a little paranoid about my heart. So a little over two weeks ago when I felt that first spasm I was terrified. I called 911 immediately and they showed up pretty quickly. They checked me out, said the blood pressure was a little high, but otherwise didn't see anything.

After that I cleaned up my act. Quit cigarrettes and ate nothing but healthy stuff and even went to the gym a few times. Also quit weed. After about a week of that I felt pretty good and allowed myself a little thc, but kept everything else strictly healthy. Then a few days later in the morning I had another spasm. Still pretty terrifying. This time drove myself to the ER. They did EKG, enzyme test, thyroid test... didn't find anything, except for an elevated enzyme related to non-cardiac muscle damage which we chalked up to my first day of squats earlier that week.

The doc there said that thc could cause tachycardia or a fast heartbeat, which made sense to me, but I tried to explain that it wasn't just a fast heartbeat but that awful spasm feeling. But anyway I felt a little better after that, and again cut thc out of my diet.

But the next morning had another spasm. I managed to get a follow up appointment with a cardiologist on the same day. He checked me out, didn't find anything and gave me the 24 hour monitor, which I returned today. Of course I didn't get the spasm while on the monitor. It was a weird feeling wishing to have one and dreading it at the same time. Now I have to wait a week to hear what the monitor recorded, if anything. :-(

All I want to hear is that it has nothing to do with my heart. Man, that would just make my day!

Thank you God for getting me to this site! I didn't even know what panic attacks or anxiety was until I experienced it last December, a week before Christmas. Recently I've been experiencing the same sensations as everyone else and find it quite amazing that most of us also suffer from some sort of anxiety disorder. It's got to be it! I would describe my feeling in the chest of a "wiggling" feeling - really wierd and nobody I talk to can even come close to relating to it!

Hi!,

I have been having these for awhile, very scary, have had an EKG, Stress Test and all seem fine. Maybe im sensitive or something. I am on Metoprolol and Hydrochlorothiazide. One thing that I found that takes these feelings away is a Centrum Silver vitamin everyday, Ive notice that if I stop taking this vitamin, the exact feelings that everyone is describing here come back again. Ive been thinking maybe it is a vitamin or mineral that my body does not have enough of......?

Thanks,

_[removed]_

Hey iam 23 these have been going on for months..exact same thing.. went to the hospital recently ..hag ecg and blood work done.. my heart is in great shape... I am definitely thinking it is a muscle spasm due to stress... i usually get them at night time when im lying down.. but like everyone else says they can happen at any time...

I have been having the same symptoms as this, funny spasm feelings in the center of my chest. i also have a problem with anxiety.

I am fairly certain it is an esophageal spasm, very common apparently. Can be caused by any number of stomach/digestive things.

The doctor put me on omeprazol for acid reflux and the symptoms have gotten a lot less frequent.

I am certain that these symptoms are NOT cardiac in origin. However, i am not a doctor.

Hope this helps.

I've had these for a few years no and am VERY close to 35. I think mine seem more common when I have had more coffee or caffine than other fluids. My spasm seems to be in my sternum and some how connected to my neck/chin/jaw area. Very unnerving when I haven't had one in a while.

Hello everybody,

I too have had this problem for the past five years or so and think it would be a good idea to document my case for others. I had my first spasm when I was 22, I was in a pretty horrid state of depression then. Separately from others on this thread, I didn't panic when I felt it. Just though, "well, that was weird." The spasm is not painful, it's a small spasm just below my sternum and I feel it for less than a second. I would get it often, averaging about 12 of them a week. I thought from the beginning that it was most probably my heart, but didn't think much of it until one memorable night.

I was jogging late at night, which I did quite often. Usually when I jog I get at least one of the spasms. I noticed this one night, though, that I couldn't catch my breath after jogging and eventually had a panic attack. That's when I started "freaking out" about the spasms. since then, I've been to many doctors and still no solution. There are some important points to note about my case in particular:

- I'm 28 years old, average weight and height. Never had any medical problems.
- I have bad posture. It's really difficult for me to sit straight up.
- The episodes started when I was in a horrible state of depression.
- I have had acid reflux since as far back as I remember. Only in the past year or so have I started treating it. Though sometimes the spasms are not as frequent, they always come back no matter which of these drugs I take: Prilosec, Zegerid, Prevacid, and Aciphex. These medicines, however, were wonderful for treating my acid reflux.
- I was overweight through most of my childhood. I had gone from being overweight to severely underweight before I felt the first spasm.
- Sometimes, I feel chest tightness when getting the spasms.
- Nowadays, when I feel a spasm I twist to get a belch out. It seems there is always some air in my stomach when I get one.
- It feels like my heart beats hard when I get a spasm. However, my heart is most probably not beating hard. I assume this because I actually got a spasm during my cardio stress test and nothing showed up on the EKG.

Here is the wild ride I've been on with my doctors:

- My general care physician ran EKGs, oxygen tests, lung capacity tests, chest x-rays, and several blood tests. All came back fine. He still suspects that it's most probably anxiety.
- Just to be on the safe side, my GCP wanted to get a barium swallow done. Came back negative for any hiatus hernia.
- When it started bothering me to the point where I had trouble focusing on my studying, I went back to him and asked to see a specialist. He sent me to a gastroenterologist and of course the first thing he did was endoscope me. The doctor said he saw a little bit of reflux (I was taking Prilosec at the time) and he wanted to rule out my heart. So he referred me to a cardiologist.
- The cardiologist did an echo, a stress test, and a nuclear. All came back negative, though he did find I had a murmur. This didn't surprise me since my mother and two of my grandparents have one.
- My gastroenterologist thinks it's acid related. He says my stomach is producing too much acid which causes me to salivate more, causing me to swallow more, and the sensations I feel are due to aerophagia or "air swallowing". I find this hard to believe, and none of the medicines he gave me have worked.

Well, that's pretty much my story. I haven't tried to take the calcium supplements yet but I will definitely do that ASAP. That's really the only solution I've gathered from this thread that worked for somebody. Hopefully, more people will be able to solve their spasms and not forget to post back here! It's reassuring to see this affects so many people and makes me feel less like a hypochondriac to see that other people have also searched for this symptom online.

Take care and try not to panic next time you get one,
CJ.

I too suffer from these "spasms" in my chest. I am a 46 year old female. They began over a year ago and of course I went to my doctor who in turn sent me to a cardiologist. I wore the Holter monitor for 24 hours all the while having these spasms and nothing showed up on my readouts. Now I am certain this is not related to heart trouble which is the only thing that soothes me. The day I came home from the cardiologist my husband recommended I take Prilosec for a few days and viola! they disappeared. After a bit of internet "research" the closest thing I came up with is esophageal spasms; with the exception of the chest spasms no other symptoms fit the bill but I imagine everyone experiences reflux problems a bit differently. There doesn't seem to be any predictive pattern at all. Unfortunately, the spasms have returned in the last few weeks and Prilosec doesn't seem to be working this time. Not only have the spasms returned but they are becoming much more violent and almost painful for the thump when the spasm releases. Today I've had at least one an hour and sometimes several in half and hour. It's awful. Not to mention the scared factor even if you've been told it is not harmful. I haven't had a chance to read through all of the posts but I did read one where a multivitamin had some positive result and also one where the individual was taking Lamictal which I have been on for several years. I also have a history of panic disorder which seems pretty common in this thread as well but I know this is not a panic attack as I would recognize that one right away. I feel like I'm rambling on here but I'm just so grateful to have found others with this problem. One more thing, I feel this problem is definitely worse in times of stress. Tonight I'm going to try a tranquilizer, as much as I hate to take them I really need to test my theory. If I can write this off as stress induced, it would probably be easier to deal with. I'll keep checking this thread though to see if anyone else comes up with an absolute diagnosis and treatment!

I to have experienced very similar symptoms as many who have posted.
I'm 31 and in reasonably good shape - although the 'sensations' tend to put me off exercising excessively.

Luckily the doctors I have been to see have been good listeners - I have often gone in a flurry of panic having experienced the more extreme episodes..... I have also taken myself to the emergency department, but mainly because I had the symptoms whilst exercising :-(

Basically I will feel normal and often relaxed etc etc and then feel this 'sensation' in my chest, which sometimes radiates into my throat. This all happens in a moment - if i was having a talking conversation with you are the time you would never know that I had just 'had one'!!! but I know..... my pulse then races, i become very distracted and loose focus on 'whatever'. Now most would say that this was then a panic attack.......but was it a panic attack to start with - I don't think so. Its these feelings that make me panic.......without them I don't panic!!! And the anxiety comes from 'when will it happen again'.

Some folk have mentioned the breathing/lost breath - I get that straight after, for up to an hour, maybe longer. my breathing appears to be fine, it just feels different - tighter, with more resistance........more recently I have began to wonder whether the spasm is laryngeal....?

Like I said the docs have been helpful and done all the routine tests....I have kept going back and saying 'i'm still getting the feeling' because I believe that there should be an answer to it.
Last May (2008) they had kind of reached the end of all un-invasive tests and offered to implant a ecg loop recorder (about the size of a usb pen near the sternum). Thats been in a year now and I activate the device every time I get a symptom......perfect you might say !?!? well - nothing!!!! it just registers spontaneous tachycardia!!! even when I have been certain that I have had an ectopic - nothing!!!!

This is obviously great news as it has given me complete peace of mind that the problem is not cardiac in origin......but leaves the question wide open - 'what is causing it' because even after knowing it isn't cardiac - and removing that anxiety and fear - I am still experiencing the symptoms most weeks...... but I am exercising more and don't let these feelings get to me quite as much as they did :O)

Ok I have had like all of you the same problem here is my story. I have been having a cough on and off for a year in october 4 months after my moms death i started to get Numb and palpitations in my chest. went to the dctor and he had me wear a monitor for 24 hrs it came back that i did have an episode of eratic heart beat and needed more tests. so I went and had a stress test a ultra sound and all clear not to mention 5 hospital trips and doctor visits and xrays to boot all clear. Today about 3 months later shorttness of breath on and of for about a month when i sleep it feeels like my heart is beating constatly but like it does when your muscels our sore i sleep but i fell it vibration in my heart that scares me and when i sit i feel presure and pulsing. on and of near my shoulder blade i get a sharp pain that is very sore. But again it is anxity and i refuse to take strees medication that they clearly tell you you will depend on. so until i find something that works i'll be annoyed by it. I know it wont kill me because it has been 6 months and my test came back that i'm in good health Just annoying as all heck that i cant do stuff do to these spasams.

I am a nearly 46 year old male with the same weird spasm, except I think I know what started mine. I was doing some ab crunches, which I haven't attempted in a couple of years. Nothing strange happened immediately, but the next day it felt as if gas bubbles began to collect under my sternum or maybe a bit higher and caused me to breathe deeper for the same effect as normal breathing would feel like. After two days of this off and on I had a episode of it at work and it did not go away.
An ambulance took me to the emergency room and lots of blood work, an echo cardiogram, ekgs, and even a heart cath was performed on me with no abnormal results. My blood pressure and heart rate was elevated for hours with nothing more than lying in a ER bed. I spent the night in the hospital with a monitor on me too. I was sent home the next day and was pretty well ok for about five days then driving home had an episode of more along the lines of what this thread has been talking about. It was still very scary and lasted for several minutes. To be safe, I took another ambulance to the hospital where they did more ekgs, blook work, and a MRI of my chest. All looked fine, except like the first hospital trip my BP was a little high and rate was too. The cardiologist prescribed Cardizem, which lowers the heart rate and BP, and my reg. doctor prescribed Xanax, to see if lessening of anxiety might help. That was a little over two months ago. I have taken the Cardizem daily, but still get the weird spasms. When it occurs, it feels as if my heart is beating in my esophagus and I feel as if my breath is lost for a bit. It sometimes doesn't happen for a day or two and then it might happen a dozen or more times a day. I have felt absolutely no pain throughout. I feel better that others have had it with no major problems found, but it is very disconcering that some have had it for years. I don't think I will ever get used to it.

Ahhhhhhhhhh this is great to read both threads on this. This started for me about 3 months ago while driving home. It was scary, the Flip in my chest caused me to have a panic attack I feel. The "flips" happen sometimes for no reason at all but I think they are due to stress and then in turn, having a history of anxiety (which I dont take medication for) it makes it worse. I have the flip, then i loose my breath and I feel very tight in the upper chest in the middle for up to an hour or maybe even more afterwards. During this time I have a panic attack and get numb or tingling in the fingers and toes and weak in the arms depending on the severity of the PA. The first time it happened was the worst and it didnt help that I was driving at the time, I actually pulled over and rang my husband, i couldnt drive and was crying (which didnt help the breathing !!) he calmed me down and said Im probably just panicing and to drive slowly home, I was only 2 minutes from home!
It was late at night and I was very tired and also in the prior 12 months have had a lot of stress due to a death, redundancy and financial issues related to that, all of which are ok now.
It has happened a lot in the car mainly, but has also just happened at home.
I am definitly no doctor but i think the initial "flip" is not anxiety but perhaps something to do with posture or gastric something or rathers but then becuase it is scary and most of us are concerned about health it causes a panic attack which is the worse part!! I think hormones cause a problem with it along with nicotene and caffiene prob dont help.
ANyway I have burbled on for long enough, Im glad to see I am not the only one, now i just need to find how to cure the panic attack in a hurry. At first it made me feel like a right looney but now i just accept it and keep it to myself.

I started to experience "chest Spasms" first about 6 weeks ago. I am a healthy 58 year old female and I exercise regularly. The spasms seem to occur more when at rest but that could just be because I notice them more. I have been taking Omeprazole for over 12 months , firstly for an ulcer, then for pancreatitis which had been caused by xray dye.

I have stopped taking omeprazole because I have read that they cause many side effects. Also they can cause a calcium deficiency. Can anyone else link this drug to their spasms ?

Although I am still experiencing the spasms after stopping Omeprazole, I don't think they are as "violent".

IM SO GLAD I FOUND THIS POST.I HAVE ALOT OF THE SAME SYMPTOMS AS MOST PEOPLE ON HERE .I GET THIS ALMOST INDESCRIBABLE FEELING IN MY CHEST LIKE A SPASM AN IT FEELS LIKE IT KNOCKS MY WIND OUT BRIEFLY AND DURING THESE ATTACKS I SEEM TO COUGH ALOT. THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON SINCE I WAS ABOUT 15 IM 22 NOW.FOR YEARS DR'S THOUGHT IT WAS HEART RELATED DUE TO THE FACT THAT I COULDNT EXPLAIN BETTER THAN A WEIRD FEELING IN MY CHEST. AND OF COURSE I HAD NO EPISODES WHILE I HAD THERE MONITORS MAYBE BECAUSE I WAS RELIEVED THAT I WAS GOING TO CAPTURE WHAT EVER EVENT TOOK PLACE.BUT YET LIKE THE JOKER IN MANY BATMAN EPISODES ::FAILED::

SO RECENTLY I GOT INSURANCE WITH KAISER AND THANKS TO THIS FORUM HAVE FOUND A MORE ARTICULATE WAY OF EXPLAINING THIS TO MY PHYSICIAN.HE SEEMS TO BELIEVE THAT I MITE HAVE GERD I BEGAN TAKING FAMOTIDINE THEN GRADUATED TO OMERPRAZOLE WHICH DIDNT REALLY DUE MUCH BUT EASE HEARTBURN WHICH IM SURE IF I RESEARCHED IT THAT WOULD BE ITS MAIN PURPOSE.NOW IM OFF TO THE GI AND OF COURSE THAT WILL TAKE 3 WEEKS.

I RECENTLY LOST 45 POUNDS TO RULE OUT ME BEING OVERWEIGHT.AN I DONT SMOKE OR DRINK. BUT I HAVE HEARD THAT GERD CAN LEAD TO ASTHMA AND VICA VERSA MAYBE THAT COULD BE THE SENSATION MAYBE THE SPASM CAUSES A SMALL ASTHMATIC ATTACK BECAUSE I HAVE WOKE UP A FEW TIMES AN COULDNT BREATH AN MANY ASTHMA SUFFERERS HAVE THAT SYMPTOM.

I LIKE MOST OTHERS AM STILL SCARED IT COULD BE HEART RELATED ISSUE BUT THEN I ALSO THINK WE HAVE SURVIVED ALL THESE YEARS WITH THIS SYMPTOM AN NO ONE HERE HAS DIED SO IM SOMEWHAT RELIEVED :/ THIS SICKNESS HAS SEVERLY EFFECTED MY SOCIAL LIFE BECAUSE IM NERVOUS TO HANG OUT WITH FRIENDS AN HAVE A SPASM.BECAUSE THEN EVERYONE WOULD BE LIKE "ARE YOU OK"THEY WOULD OBVIOUSLY KNOW YOUR NOT BY THE LOOK ON YOUR FACE AN THEN THE PANIC ATTACK WILL KICK IN HAHA IM NOT SURE IF OTHERS FEEL THE SAME.

ONE LAST THING DURING THIS ATTACK I FEEL AS IF I CAN FEEL MY HEARTBEAT AN THAT SOME SORT OF STRUGGLE IS GOING ON IN MY CHEST WHETHER ITS MY HEART OR WHETHER ITS MY ESOPHAGUS IM NOT SURE BUT ITS WORRYS ME ALOT.

-MIKE