I just had my ACL tear repaired on Friday.  After the OP surgery, my surgeon came to talk with me.  He said that he fixed my tear however my ACL is also lacked - and I needed to be careful?  What does this mean?  My sister is an OR nurse and she said that I may continually get tears unless I get the knee reconstructed.  Is this really something that I need?  I want to be able to use my elliptical again. Should I just have the surgery or is this not needed?:$

I'm guessing you had a Meniscectomy in your initial surgery, and your doc discovered your ACL had a partial or complete tear while doing the meniscectomy, and your ACL is now lax or loose.  

There's no big rush to get a lax ACL repaired...  You'll know if it's loose enough to give you problems soon enough.  Once you recover from your first surgery, if your knee "slops", slides, or "goes out on you" and hurts (as you walk up or down an incline for instance), this is an indication you need to get the ACL done.  If your knee joint is slopping and slipping around, you'll bang up the cartilage and cause further problems down the road if you don't get the ACL done.  

If you don't have these symptoms once you heal from the initial surgery, you should be fine.  

Best of Luck to you!  

Thanks for your help.