I have very tender bumps on my index fingers they have a red dot in the center of the bump,painful...I seem to get them when I am very stressed..

Hey I get these too and I have no idea what they are, but I do know they hurt and are red somtimes I only haver one and sometimes there are a ton all over my hands and fingers :-(

Me too!! on the palms and fingers only.
I usually get one to start and then 3-4 localised around the starting 1.
then they can pop up anywhere on either of my hands.
the bumps are painful/very tender at the start but the pain stops after a week and they have a red dot in the center.
I checked the mighty internet regarding rashes on the palms of hands. a scarey one that came up was syphilis. i had bloods done and it came back negative.
My doctor perscribed a strong steroid cream. the rash clears after about 2 weeks but comes back after about 2 weeks.
I have a high stress job. am male and 32 years old.

anyone else know what this is??

Herpatic Whitlow is the name you are looking for and there is NO cure

think about this...do you cook? Does grease spatter on your hand? Could you have little burn marks? You don't so much feel it when it spatters on your hand but you see the results a day later?

I have something like this too. I get it every once in a while and just on my sides of the fingers. If you are stressed out, it sounds like it is dyshidrosis.

I get the same things. They had gotten so bad the last time that my finger prints were gone. The skin on my finger tips is very smooth and thin> very painful with hot things and sensitive to the touch. My Dr gave me some steriod cream and it got better after a couple of weeks, but now it is back :-( I am not looking forward to another round of this!! My hair has also been falling out for months now. I have been tested for lupus, thyroid abnormalities, cortisol levels (cushings disease and addisons). All of my blood work came back normal. What is this????? >;)

Hi, yes I get the same thing too. I get small clear spots on my fingers and palms which can get very painful and itchy. Sometimes they have a dark centre, but not always.

I usually get them when I'm stressed. I used to get them really bad over exam time at school. I also get them if I spend too long out in intense sunshine.

My doctor said it was nothing to worry about and gave me topical steroid creams to put on them. It helps take away the itching and pain but it doesn't stop them from appearing.

After doing some research on my own, I think it is dyshidrosis eczema.

Erythromelalgia - 3 types (I and III are adult types and type II is seen in children)
type II - may be familial
clinical symptoms - episodes of redness, warmth, burning and pain in extremities (hands or feet)
can be triggered by heat or exercise as well as anxiety/stress
treatment - cooling hands or holding hands above the heart
labs - can check a CBC (blood count) to look for abnormalities in the platelets, but not necessarily recommended in children.

My child get these flare ups. I took picures and emailed them to the Dernatogolidt Above was her answer

I have had these little red dots pop up on my hands and they are usually very small and spread out. They feel like a piece of glass in my hand, which is usually how i find them. I went to a dermatologist yesterday and she said she has seen several cases and has no idea what it is. She said she has seen it with pregnant women, but I am not. She biopsied 2 of them and I should hopefully find out what they are.

could possibly be a whiltlow???

I have had those occur as well for a good many years now. I have been to many doctors with all types of varying possibilities and no successful diagnosis. I have checked the various suggestions from this website as to what it could be, whitlow and various dermatological conditions, none of which resemble what I have, unless those google images are only ever extreme cases. I have found that taking photos of what I have to show others and doctors is extremely difficult as once taken, the photo barely shows the red area, which is simply red, not inflamed red and the swollen area is never really excessive enough to show very well on a photo. Visually I'd say it looks most similar to a very light steam burn about 4mm to 6mm in width (sorry I don't know inches). Mind you I can achieve the same level of red skin from a nice hot shower, just not in a small spot only on a finger or two. But that is basically all it looks like.

I discovered one treatment that helps ME with the symptoms but does not cure it.

I have found that when I have an occurrence of the mysterious tender red spots, that if they are touched or much pressure is applied to the affected areas then the spots themselves can get bigger, spread out into a larger tender red area. I do not recommend doing this yourself, unless you want to compare what you have to what I have to see if it could be the same. It doesn't do anything more than basically squish the affected part inside your finger and thereby affect a larger area via blood vessels or lymphs tissues etc... Not exactly sure, as I said, never been successfully diagnosed, yet it seems the most logical explanation.

As far as treatments go, which didn't work, I was told by one doctor to place a special cream on it and massage that into my finger which was intended to help moisture the skin and surrounding area and was meant to alleviate the painful area, penetrate a soothe deep inside my finger. As I described above, I had already found out that massaging the affected area only aides the spread of the tender red spot area. I tried his treatment all the same, to no avail.

A few months ago, on a trip away, we were using a waterless hand sanitiser. I found it helped immensely with the tenderness of my affected area of skin by in fact drying the hell out of it. In doing so, it made my skin mildly tougher and more resilient to physical touch.

The sanitiser is basically just one of those alcohol based anti-bacterical gels. I have tried several of those now and found the one without the added ingredients works best. The added ingredients are things put in with the alcohol which are moisturisers etc... Exactly what I am trying to avoid.

Since I found that sanitiser to work on that day I have bought several bottles to see if a more prolonged exposure to the sanitiser will have any noticeable helpful effect on the red spots. In the past when I had an occurrence, the red spots would be tender to the touch and I'd have to be very careful what I did physically with my fingers for fear that I bump the red spot areas and thereby making them worse, larger or more of them. Since using the sanitiser, it toughens my skins, dries it out and makes it extremely resilient to further damage. This has the effect of clearing up the tender areas within a day or two instead of having them last for 2-3 weeks in a stretch. In the past, due to being a computer graphic designer I have softer skin than say a brick layer, whenever I first noticed a tender red spot area I'd have to be careful otherwise any bumps to the area would make them worse. Carrying grocery bags, turning on and off sink/shower taps, even bending my finger would make it worse if one occurred on a joint etc... After using the sanitiser, I am no longer at as great a risk of having them become aggravated.

I still use the sanitiser. My tender red spot areas still occur, still feel tender, still peel, BUT their duration and vunerability has been greatly reduced.

Basically, I still get the problem from time to time, having no successful diagnosis or cure so far, but they are fixed so easily for me now that they are not nearly as much of a problem as they used to be.

Michael
****

**edited by moderator** **e-mails are not allowed**

I get them on my index fingers. To me they look like hard bumps that are red but they seem to be deep under the skin - not just under the first layer. They don't really hurt when I press on them with my finger, but if I use the edge of my fingernail and apply pressure, they are tender. Mine feel almost calloused over, like the top layer of skin is dead and hard. I don't recall them itching. I only get them on the side of my index finger, never on my palms.

After a few weeks, the skin starts to get very dried out and begs for me to pull it off. It isn't painful, but the skin is always very thick coming off - like a callous.

I asked my doctor about them and (like many other people that I've seen on the internet say this) she gave me s cream to put on them. This doesn't seem like something that can be treated with a topical ointment because it seems to be so deep into the tissue. I used the cream and it did nothing.

Mine look like blisters and mine are very deep under the skin, not on the surface like these. I haven't found any internet pictures that resemble what I'm talking about. Anyone looking at my hands would not notice them unless I pointed them out. They are barely visible and the bump is almost not visible unless you touch it. You can see it when it's pointed out.

I wish someone could tell me what they are - they are very annoying.

Did you ever find out what it was??? I have it right now and my doc and dermatologist do not know what it is.

I had one last night and now I have 3. I'm very stressed because of exams.. and my room is quite warm, could this be it?