Hello, folks. My daughter has been diagnosed with mycotic otitis. She was also found a mycelium. I wonder what we should do. This is something that we haven’t encountered before, so I would appreciate if someone could give us some further information about this. Thank you in advance for all your replies.

Hello. Mycotic otitis is also known as otomycosis. It is a fungal infection of the external ear canal. Mycelium is the vegetative part of the fungus. The usual fungi that cause otomycosis are: Candida and Aspergillus, Ear should be cleaned as for every other form of otitis externa. For removing the debris and reducing swelling, Burrow’s solution is recommended (aluminum acetate). You can also put antifungal ear drops. Those would be: econazole or clotrimazole. In any case, you should consult an ENT specialist. Do not treat your daughter on your own.