I have a recurring lip problem. My lips start off really itchy and they feel like they are sunburnt and its stings around the lining of my lips. They then become super red and the whole outer are of my lips look red and swollen. Sometimes I get crusty stuff on my lips but only sometimes. It sometimes feels as if my lips are sweating. I have to constantly keep Neosporin on it and it takes about a week for this to go away. Some outbrakes are worse than others. I have been to a clinic doctor and she said it was most likely herpes simplex but I never have any blisters. It is horrible and painful and I need to know what is going on.

Thank you

I'm sorry to say, I don't know how to help you, but I can completely relate. That happens to me too!

It's probably happened two or three times a year for the last six years. I've read several things that say it could be a vitamin deficiency (B12, folic acid, or anemia), or an allergic reaction; but taking vitamins doesn't help and I can't think of any thing I could have ingested or otherwise that would be completely unique to those times. Furthermore, it seems if it were an allergic reaction, it would get better over time, but mine usually gets worse first.

It feels like... they're harder, somehow? It hurts to open my mouth very widely. Usually for me it is focused on my upper lip, but sometimes a bit on the bottom as well. It stings and itches and swells, and produces super-tiny spots on the edges.

I hope someone can help us.

I have the very same symptoms and not sure what is causing this. I went to a dermatologist and she took me off of toothpaste and any mouthwash. It helped because the burning was gone each time I brushed but still hurt with water. Cannot open mouth very far and my gums seem to be peeling too. I hope someone knows what this is. I also have this seeping of liquid which seems to be a blistering response to skin being irritated. But what is causing it??

I have it too and i just went to the dr.s today for it. He told me that it is possibly cold sores and he gave me valtrix for it.

Hello everyone. This condition is a form of CHELITIS.....could be of several forms. I have "Angular Chelitis"....and if you google it...you will see it is a very pesky condition that is tough to be rid of.
After 8 months of anguish and frustration dealing with this crazy situation, my dermatologist has determined that this is a "staph" infection, verified by cultures of the bacteria that are present on the infected area.
My lips have been "infected" now.....for over 8 months. It comes and goes....and antibiotics keep it "at bay"...but it always still remains. I DID learn.....NOT TO USE NEOSPORIN......because this actually makes it worse over time. Your immune system eventually becomes resistant to the "antibacterial" effects of it....and you can become allergic if you continue use.

I have been through 5 treatments of different antibiotics....and none of them have "cured" this condition.

BUT.....today....when my doctor called and said they had detected "staph"....in the last culture that they swabbed....now it gives them more of an idea of how to treat it. STAPH is resistant to many antibiotics....and docs have to be savvy as to which medications to treat it with. I am curious to see what the new medication is going to do....as they think they've got it nailed (I hope so)!

Just a word of advice.....the ONLY ointment that is kosher to use for chelitis is AQUAPHOR. I have to apply it every 10 or 15 minutes.....and it is my lifeline!.....BUT....it keeps it calmed down enough...so that I do not have the "oooozing", cracking, soreness, and sometimes bleeding of my lips.
Stay tuned....I will let you know how the new meds work out!

[OMG.....I thought I was the only one in world with this problem. I have the same symptoms as you lizzy18. I went to see a doctor and he looked at me like I was an alien. I felt humiliated. He did, however, give me an antibiotic cream that seemed to clear it up, but I had to use it for about 2 months until my lips felt semi-normal again and to avoid it from recurring. I stopped using it though because, it is after all an antibiotic and in fear of getting immune to it. I'm now trying to keep it from coming back by using a super moisturizing lip balm with spf in it. If I don't put something on my lips. they feel really dry and tight and I always have that tingling feeling in them. I have no idea how this came about and am very irritated with it. It's flared up on me 3 times now and am now doing my best to keep it from coming back. My next stop is to see a dermatologist. This is a very exhausting and frustrating problem. I will not stop until I find a solution for this. I hope you all find a solution as well. If you do, please let me know. Thanks

I Have the exact poblem, and I've had it for 1 year now. I am frustrated, irritated and so sick of walking around like  looking like a skunk. Thats what i look like because the,  outer part of my lips are always so red from me itching it that it lokks like i waxed the whole outside of my mouth.Why is it that doctors dont know their stuff.They know how to charge you $$$$ for visits, but no flippin cures. I really have had it, 24/7 i have to keep it moisterized, because if i dont  i feel like my mouth is going to splitt into pieces.  Somebody  please help us.

I have been having lip problems since kissing my wife who was dying of cancer. Her lips were red, cracked and irritated. The doctor thought it was a case of Mucositis (related to the effects of chemotherapy and radiation) ordered a formulation called Magic mouthwash. It did not help her lips at all but at the time, that was the least of her worries.

After her death, I concentrated on my problem. My lips became sort of scaly on the corners and with close inspection, had small white bumps under the skin initially in the corners near the ridge where it goes from the outer to the inner lip. Some where small round clusters.

I have been to at least 4 general practitioners and one dermatologist. They are saying it is Fordyce granules.

They may be Fordyce granules but because it happened almost immediately after kissing my wife, Fordyce, which is supposed to occur naturally and has no cure, is not naturally occurring and could possibly have a cure

OR

it is not Fordyce and, in my opinion, may be some type of antibiotic resistant bacteria. I have only seen one other reference to antibiotic resistant bacteria as it relates to the lips.

I will be heading to another dermatologist in the coming weeks and I will post the results of the visit. If she solves the problem I will provide her contact information. I plan on requesting she take a small chunk of lip skin and have it tested for every bacteria know to man and of course, woman.

Have you all noticed how there never seems to be a definite solution to lip problems. 

I know this is an old topic, but I am having the SAME problem and I'm relieved to know this is a real condition and there are others who know what I'm talking about. It started over a year ago and every few months my upper lip and the skin just above it starts to get a burning dry feeling like it was sunburned but I wasn't in the sun. Then it starts to get super dry, cracked, flakey (almost as though large portions of flake have formed a scabbed over area) and is very painful. No form of chapstick will heal it but it does make it feel better until it wears off. I do, sometimes, get the tiny lil bumps that feel wet when I press my lips together at the start of it but not everytime. It does look a bit inflammed/swollen, my guess is from the extreme irritation. It takes more than 3 weeks for it to go away. I've tried everything (chapstick, neosporin, bacitracin, aquaphor, lotion etc w/ no improvment) and of all things I found some Nystatin ointment left over from one of my kids fungal infections and was desparate for relief so I tried that and it's worked the best so far. I don't know how to describe this to my dr w/out them just assuming it's chapped lips and dismissing this problem.

I had oral thrush for a month and angular chelitis. Finally went to the dermatologist he fixed me up with a lotion called Trianex 0.05% which is applied to the lips and corners of mouth first, then aquaphor on top. Cleared up in 2 days...I suffered for a month, I should have gone straight to the dermatologist!

I am having the same problem. It all started a month or two ago with little white dots all over my top lip. Now they look and feel extremely chapped. This is my second outbreak of whatever this is. They burn really bad and they are red and a little swelled. My doctor put on some type of ointment and some hydrocortisone cream and it helped for 3 weeks. I woke up this morning and they are back. This time they are worse and when I press my lips together they tingle and feel sweaty or wet. What is this??

I am the one that posted in april 2012, I still haven't got to the dr to find out but I had the same sensation. It's miserable and it takes a long time to go away without proper treatment. I found that nystatin ointment is the only thing that made it go away within 2 days. I haven't gone through another episode in a while but plan to go straight to the dr when I do.

Omg I have the same thing!! First it starts off extremely itchy, especially sound my lips edges. And it burns. After a while it starts to swell up. I have tiny little holes on my lips, like so small u need a microscope and pus seeps through the holes. I have no clue what this is. It's been going on for almost a year now. My lips are extremely dry. I need to keep them moisturized at all times if I don't they burn like hell. Can someone PLEASEEEEEEEE tell me what this is. And how to cure it.

I wish I knew but try an antifungal ointment. I just had went through it again (it's happening every 3-4 months for me now) and this time I started w/ the Nystatin right away and for the first time, I caught it early enough that it didn't get that bad. I was out of town though so I couldn't get in to see the Dr. I'm so worried that the Dr is just gonna dismiss this as badly chapped lips but it's sooo much more and it's freaking me out.

Right guys and girls.

iv had it for like 5 years, comes and goes like evey month or so. been to the doctors loads and iv had like 15 creams over the years, moisturizing ones, fungal ones, cold sore ones, and most recently steroid creams.... steroid creams thined my lips out so no chance am i taking them again. 

mine are cracked and sore at the corners and swollen looking, always sore as f**k and uncomfortable feeling. they look swollen and red, its a f*****g joke they dont understand how serious it is. i have periods where i cant even kiss cos its so bad! im going back soon to say that the steroid cream made them worse and im frikkin tellin them i need this sh*t gone. creams arent working. i got told to take iron tablets but they do f**k all, also vitamin C.. does f**k all. they thot it was a fungal infection but creams for that do nothing..

every time i go they give me a new cream and say "this should keep it at bay :) "

NO it wont 
and NO i dont want it kept at bay i want it f*****g gone!!

its not my diet cos i eat mega healthy. always clean my teeth so i have a healthy mouth. iv had no swabs taken cos they jst give me creams, i promise i'll find out wtf it is and wtf can get it dead. even right now im sittin with blistex all over my lips cos it helps the pain go away for a while. im on antibiotics cos im ill but they finish today and have done nothin for my lips or me being ill.

im sick of dishing out cash for creams to keep it at bay since the docs creams are useless

I WILL FIND OUT WTF WE CAN DO AND I WILL TELL YOU COS NOBODY SHOULD GO THROUGH WHAT WE ARE

ALSO

i have bleedy lips that they think is a fungal infection

the steroid cream i got says   "do not use where there is a bacterial, viral or fungal infection"

"do not use on open wounds, ulcers or broken skin"

WATCH WHAT THEY GIVE YOU