Can anyone recommend a parathyroid surgeon in the Washington, DC/Baltimore area? My mother is unable to travel to Dr. Norman in FL, and he would not give a referral (basically indicated that no one else is qualified to do the surgery). I find it difficult to believe that Dr. Norman is the only qualified surgeon is the entire US. Any ideas? Johns Hopkins? Georgetown U? Anyone?

Thanks!

I can't recommend anyone but I do have a list of surgeons who are interested in parathyroid. The list came from the Paget Foundation. It lists:

John Harmon
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
410-550-0401

Gregory Bulkley
Johns Hopkins Hospital
410-955-8500

Martha Zieger
Johns Hopkins Hospital
410-614-1197

You'll have to check them out but it gives you a place to start. Choose your surgeon carefully. Be sure they have lots of experience, do the mini surgery, etc.

No, Dr. Norman isn't the only surgeon but he won't recommend anyone else. The information on his website is excellent so make use of it.

Good luck
mass

Lisa Boyle at the Washington Hospital Center in DC comes highly recommended.

Who did you end up using in the DC area? Have you heard of Dr Erin Felger?

She is no longer there. She's at Georgetown.

She is Washington Hospital Center.. I saw her today...She seemed confident with parathyroid.