My 2 month old grand daughter has swallowed huge amounts of air when nursing ever since she was born. She is incredibly hard to burp after only 2 oz at a time. She's better now about burping, but this has caused bad colic conditions. large amounts of air in the bowel with pain and suffering for her and for her parents and us for not knowing what to do. We've changed nipples on bottles, changed formula, pediatrician doesn't have an answer....do you have any ideas.....we're desperate for this little girl. She's ravenous when she eats and swallows air with every suck.

Have you considered breastfeeding your granddaughter? I think that would be the best thing for her because she should stop taking in so much air. Would that be possible?

my neighbor had the same problem with the baby. also, his baby had a huge colicky pain because of this. I was talking about this issue with him because my wife is also expecting a baby and we are happy about this. but to be honest, we can't without hearing this baby constantly crying, all the time and that is why I asked him what is going on. he explained this to me, so my wife got scared and she went to see if there are some best tips for breastfeeding a baby. she told me that some older nurse told her that the best tip was to put your thumb a couple of inches above the nipple and finger the same distance below and than squeeze it as soon as the baby opens their mouth, get it in there quickly. I hope that this advice can help you, it helped my neighbor and honestly, I hope that my wife won't need it.   

Hi, sorry to hear of the problems you are having with your granddaughter.

As breastfeeding from 2 months old is not an option, I would suggest that you check that the lids of the bottles are not on too tight. if they are it can cause baby to suck in air from the sides of the mouth in order to overcome the vaccuum effect created. Make sure that you can see air bubbles in the milk as she drinks.

It may also be worth double checking with the health visitor that you granddaughter isn't tongue tied as this can cause similar problems - I would have expected it to be picked up by now, however if it is only a small one it may have been missed.

In the meantime, make sure that any milk is WARM, and following a feed if you are struggling to burp her, lay her down, and as her knees bend up towards her tummy, gently massage her tummy in a CLOCKWISE motion. this helps to sooth baby but also helps with the digestion.

Goodluck, and let me know how you get on.