hi... one of my friends takes subotex... i want to know how can he give up subotex ... i don't really know what subotex is.... can anyone explain me? and what can i do to make my friend give up .... he used to take heroine... and then amphetamine and now subotex.... is it strong drug or just a medicine? thanx... Iry

Subutex is a medicine designed to help people get off heroin. The drug is actually very similar to heroin, it belongs to a drug class called narcotics (opoids). The drug uses the same receptors that heroin does, blocks them and prevents heroin influence. This makes an addict feel less desire for the heroin effects.

When subutex binds to these opiate receptors, it doesn’t stimulate them as much as heroin does but it does stop the cravings and it doesn’t cause withdrawal effects from heroin that are so dreadful.

Being narcotic itself, subutex is addictive as well and even if they do get off heroin, addicts may have problems getting off subutex and suboxone, which is a drug that is used after subutex as subutex is the initial treatment when quitting and suboxone is the maintaining drug.

If an addict has, by some chance, decide to get off heroin and suboxone, it needs to work closely with doctors, to taper their dose slowly.

In this process they need the support of their families and friends who are hopefully not addicts themselves.

thank you....this post helped me understand what subotex is.... i'll try to help my friend deal with his problem... i don't know yet how can i help him... just support him i guess... and go with him to a doctor.....if there's anything else i can do... please let me know... maybe some pills ... anything... thx...