my brother-in-law's nose runs everytime he eats anything. He suffers with heart troubles and has early stages of dementia. The runny nose is a real mystery. What could it be.?

This happens to a lot of people while eating hot foods, and I don't mean spicy hot, although that will do it, too. I mean steamy hot, the steam from the heat and moisture in the food loosens the sinus drainage the same way steam from a hot shower does. This is why chicken soup actually does help a cold. Try having him keep his face further away from the bowl or plate while eating, it will probably make a big difference.

gustatory rhinitis possibly?

no matter what he eats my husbands nose runs when he eats he hasn`t got heart problems high blooed pressure which is under control. even if he eats a salad

Guest wrote:

gustatory rhinitis possibly?

Mine also runs and this was the explanation the doctor gave me.

I have suffered through this forover 3 yrs now, it happens no matter what I eat, if I eat ice It runs, hot foods it runs, spicy foods, it runs, doctors say there is nothing they can do, bcuz its not life threatening, and also they don't see it running, so other then dabbling thru some nasal sprays before I eat, I basically just have to wipe my nose and blow it frequently, best advice I got was to take control of my own health, do reasearch, try over the counter drugs but always check with the pharmacist, they seem to know more then doctors when it comes to health issues and medication.. Plz becareful with mixing meds,

He's naming it, but what help is that?