Every night for the past 3 months, I have woke up in the middle of the night coughing so, that I cant hold my breath, then I go back to sleep and I spontaneously start leaking from my nose (vomiting??) its a thick like mucus or whatever I have eaten for dinner may appear not to often but it has happen, but its mainly thick mucus.  No stopping it, it just flows.  I cant imagine that happening during the day, during one of my staff meetings.  OMG!!  I am really concerned because I just dont sleep.  I sleep with four pillows to help me feel like I'm not going to vomit.   I had lap band 2 years ago, and I also have acid reflux for which I take Nexium.  No other meds at this time. 

How should I proceed?  Has anyone experienced this? 

I would go to the doctor if I was you

Have you gone to the doctor about this? What did he say?

OMG! I have sear hed and searched the nef for someone who has tbese exact symptoms as me! I suffer from this regularly and my lungs HURT to breathe on morning when it was worse the night before. I had lapband surgerg in 2007 and was a total success with this but my reflux has not imprpved at all! Sometimes I wonder if some of the band success is attributed to I am afraid to eat past 4-5 in the afternoon because it seems worse. One thing I was told is at one point my band was too tight. They did an adjustment but I still have these same issues. Have you learned anything from your doctor. Please share any info you have.

I use to experience it ALL THE TIME!!! For the last 12 years not at all! 1.Acid reflux is a self inflicted condition caused by people who cant except that certain foods were not meant for them. 2. You are eating too close to bed time then laying down wreaking havoc on your digestive tract, this includes eating heavy hard to digest foods such as meats. Try eating your heavier meals at lunch and lighter meals at night. NEVER eat then lay down. Sit upright or go do some activity 3 hr. before bedtime. Acid reflux leads to Esophageal Stricture (closing of the esophagus). Then that leads to Esophageal Cancer, then death! No medicine including Nexium can do anything for you.

Follow the advice I gave Sandy. Also your lap band has nothing to do with whats going on. However if you have an hiatal hernia they should of told you that when you got the lap band. Get a copy of your records! Your lap band deals with the consumption of food going into your body. Your Acid reflux is related to the type of foods you eat and lifestyle. As I stated I use to have the food coming out my nose, vomiting, heart burn, indigestion, severe gas pains and all of that is gone. Stop all foods that causes any of the things I mention. This includes anything you drink. All sodas and anything with caffeine in it. My Best

I am expereincing exactly the same problem. I also sleep on 3 pillows and have acid reflux. Im also leaking from my nose most mights!
Any suggestions?

I have the same symptoms but only at night. Especially if I eat after 7.

Your advice and experiences are truly appreciated.

Hi my names emma,im the same as you,the last few months ive been waking up choking with fluid/stomach acid coming through my nose and in my mouth.i feel i also aspirate it into my lungs as i get a massive wheeze until i cough it all away which i usually cant do and it only tends to be when i sleep only sleep on my right side.. I have a hiatus hernia so no doubt we have gerd disease.go to your doctor like me.good luck