I am 17 years old and have a problem for the past month that is freaking me out. I have this eyelid twitching. It is not constant (I mean 24 hours), but it comes suddenly and also suddenly disappears. However it’s really irritating. What can I do about this?

I think eyelid twitching is caused by stress or fatigue. It usually stops on its own. This happens in a short time or improves with rest or reduced stress.
Eyelid twitching is not a cause for concern unless it persist or occur with other symptoms. In that case it might suggest nerve problems. There is really nothing to be done. The best solution is to wait any try not be overstressed.

as previously stated it probably is stress related, but I just wanted to mention that eyelid twitching was one of the strange symptoms i had when I had Lyme disease. It won't of course be the only symptom...you would also feel incredibly fatiqued, achy all over and especially in your knee joints and neck. so if you have any of these symptoms in addition to the twitching ask for a blood test to rule out Lymes.

I've read online that many people have complained of twitching, headaches, etc after drinking Diet Sodas which have added aspartame to their drinks relatively recently. If you're consuming Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi...STOP! It gets worse after twitching!

If you google Aspartame the first 2 sites that come up are on the hazards of this substance!

Hope this helps. If it's not from the diet soda...at least you know now not to drink it.

Maritsa

edited by moderator***web addresses now allowed

Try taking Magnesium tablets. I have the same twitching eye problem and Magnesium can assist in the relief of muscular cramps and spasms. I have been very stressed over exams lately which would contribute to the twitching but when I take the Magnesium tablets once a day it goes away. I hope this helps.

i have been having the same problem. its been on going for about a month now it happens several times a day for no apparent reason. my lower lid pulsates, its the most annoying thing! many people have told me it means i'm stressed, or tired but i don't see that as being the reason. most of the time i'll blink or squint hard and it will stop. this makes me think it has something to do with a nerve or muscle. i don't know i hope it stops soon, for both of us!

Yep as whittler said, its normally not getting enough good quality sleep (more people get it in the left eye when its sleep related). If you are worrying (even subcontiously) about something, something in work, home life, or you do a stressfull job you can damage your sleep pattern.

Have a relaxing bath, listen to some soothing music, take a hot drink or even exercise a little before bed to wear yourself out. It doesn't make any difference if you sleep 8 hours a day if its not good quality. Tossing and turning all night your body can't handle it as it needs to run some routine maintenance. Many people can't turn off in bed, so consider talking to your doctor, but sleeping tablets are not a long term solution (however, Amitryptyline, an anti-depressant, is used for long-term sleep management as it's as non-addictive as anything else tablet shaped, but certainly much better than a diazepine like Valium which are indeed very addictive and would only be useful for 7 days of sleep anyway).

If you're in the UK you could try Herbal Nytol, they aren't addictive and are fairly useful and work on most people. The normal standard Nytol are I think diazepine related, so can and probably would cause addiction and diazepine addiction is no joke, so talk to your doctor and mention you have a twitchy eye, they will know what it means - my doctor noticed it once when I was having trouble sleeping and I had no idea what it was and didn't even consider mentioning it, but she said "ah you can't sleep can you?" and that's how I found out myself.