Why is cutting so bad? I have to see a psychiatrist, and while I have seen him a few times, he has yet to answer me on why cutting is so bad or wrong. Granted this guy doesnt really listen to anything I say or ask. This makes me believe that there is nothing wrong with me cutting and that there is no serious health risk at all, it is just something that is well not what everyone else does. Can anyone answer me on why cutting is so wrond and bad?

Cutting is a self-destructive act.

It is a sign of an individual who is already in great pain.

Why do you think cutting is such a great thing?

As the Guest said - is there anything that is good about cutting? I mean for you, personally? Of course there are medical reasons why cutting yourself is bad - simply the wounds can easily get infected. But even more than that, why would you want to be slave of one compulsive habit that is getting beyond your control? even compulsion to drink water, if you have to do it and can't resist it, is considered bad because it makes you the slave.

It is not that I think cutting is a great thing, I know it is not the greatest thing to do because it is unhealthy, but at least it brings me relief, gives me control over some of the pain, something to focus my mind on, and a way to relieve myself of whatever the feelings I am feeling(literally dont know what to call the feelings). At least im not killing myself. It also has other purposes for me. I have never gotten any infections or anything from the cuts. The worst that has happened is that they sometimes bleed for like 5 days(depending on how deep). I was doing better with my cutting, but everyone still looked at it as horrible and whatever(not telling me why it was bad), now im bad with it again and getting worse(over 50). I was simply wondering why it was bad for me to do it. unhealthy, yes, but people eat unhealthy and live unhealthy. Nikols: is the infection why it is bad to do? 

Infections are one obvious cause why cutting can be harmful, not to mention scars. But, as the guest before me said, cutting is a sign that you are in deep emotional pain and since you are using cutting as sort of a ritual to shift your focus from whatever is going on (which appears as if it's not under your control, like most of our emotions may not be) to the pain from cutting (that you can control). So, the point is - you use cutting as your way to deal with whatever is going on instead of learning new ways and adjusting to new situations (or getting over some past events). It's bad because it's a habit that you use as a substitute for your own development and I know it's easy to say that and not go through the process you must go in order to get yourself free of this, but substitute for living, in whatever form, is not living. And you are right, people have found zillion of self destructive ways to do this, from hundreds of addictions to shopping and whatnot, but hat does not make them any happier - that I believe you know well yourself.

O, and yeah, I definatly know the scars suck. I hate every sngle one of them, yet I cant seem to stop no matter how hard i try. I have tried other things, but, well they r stationary tactics, and i cant be stationary. I like to run, bike, rollerblde, and be outside and active. that is my alternative coping method, but everyone is taking it away from me leaving me with nothing. Thank you Nikols and Guest for giving me an answer and examples of it. I have been struggling with this since i was in 10th grade(im in my freshman year of college) asked the same question and everyone always just said it was unhealthy. So, honestly, thank you for giving me insight to this cutting ordeal. Nikols: As I said before, I cant seem to stop cutting, lots of people who find out about it tell me to just stop, but I cant. Is it suppose to be this hard to stop?