I need some information on cutting yourself. Please and thank you very much!

First of all, and most importantly, if you (or a friend) are a cutter, I advise that you seek mental treatment from your doctor, school counselor, or mental health professional (depending on your options). I've been down that route; it's very dangerous.

Secondly, cutting is a category of self-injury (a.k.a. self-inflicted violence, self-injury, self-harm, parasuicide, delicate cutting, self-abuse, and self-mutilation).
Self-injury is merely the act of attempting to modify a state of mood by inflicting physical harm serious enough to cause tissue damage to one's body.

Of the entire United States, about one percent uses self-injury as a way of coping with overwhelming feelings or situations. Those of us who cut (or self-injure, by all means) use the destructive action as a voice because we are unable to respond to these feelings

There are several forms of self-injury, as well as the severity of self-injury; we often hear of the most commonly seen behavior, such as cutting, burning, and head-banging. The other forms include: carving, scratching, branding, marking, burning, scraping (causing an abrasion), biting, hitting, and picking and pulling skin and hair.

Another thing that you should probably know is whether or not it is considered self-injury. If you are looking for sexual gratification, body decoration, spiritual enlightenment via ritual, trying to be an emo, or otherwise trying to fit in, it’s not self-injury.

Because people self-injury when they are emotionally overwhelmed, an act of self-harm will simply bring their level of psychological and physiological tension and arousal back to a bearable baseline level almost instantly.

I hope I answered some of your questions about cutting. If not, you can contact me over the SteadyHealth Network.

i cant help it. everytime i try to stop it gets worse. its like the monster that hides in our closets to get us. i cant tell my mom. and when i do do it i feel better afterwards. its not that bad. im not killing someone. why do people care? i dont want to go to a therapist. what can they do. how are they supposed to help me? i doubt many of them have been through this. i dont care how long they have worked. i dont care how many people have spilled their guts to them. they dont understand.

lostandforgotten, i went through many states of depression throughout the past few years. one of the states is about the "i don't care, i don't need help, i'm fine, leave me alone"

simply by the way you're talking, you display a standoffishness that is a characterization of depression...

please, try to realize that you can be happier than you are. help yourself.

it doesnt matter. i can deal with it. doesnt anyone get it. i cut to make sure i dont kill myself. i dont need to be fixed im not broken. i am heppy there is nothing wrong. why do people care. everyone will leave one day and then what?

but you should make the best of what you have now.

right now i dont have anything.

right now i dont have anything. my mom thinks im fine if i go and tell her what then? the only reason im on is because my friend told me to. dont you get it im trying. im trying to make the best of nothing. when i cut i feel like im set free. i would rather feel pain than to feel miserable, than to feel nothing.

death isint the answer if you feel like you ahve nothing its not true if you think your misrible look at some pople hwo have no home or parents in middle east and some parts of poor villages in africa they starve and sometimes they are happyer then you see :-( emotions are powerful dont give in i been depressed maybe even almost crazy once but im over that i found in myself im just depressed because its not about nothing you can get anything but all you have to do is have patiants but thats not the point you have a future think of your loved ones they will cry and feel worse then you do the future you may have who knows be rich win a lotto have children but wait it will come damageing your self does nothing its like a drug only worse it may kill you....life is short live it well and live lifes best god gave you life and only he can take it away dont die now it will come anyway when your old and sore but right now you have too much to lose live life its short even if its bad poor and sad live it anyway because you may not have another chance at it.....

i cut because i feel like imm loosing control over my emotions, i feel like i might never stop crying, or i might end up smashing my face in a wall. i do it cause it immediatly calms me down.