I’m not so new at running. I started about a year ago but recently I noticed an unpleasant sensation. Namely, my foot is getting numb during running and I have to stop. I don’t know what to do and this keeps on happening. Has anyone here had the same problem? What could cause this? I’m afraid that I will have to quit running.

This can be caused by numerous reasons and most of them are easy to solve. For example, maybe you have incorrect running technique and maybe you put too much weigh on your feet. You should find out what kind of pronator you are and buy your running shoes in accordance with that. It’s a very important issue even though many people either neglect it or don’t know anything about it. If you don’t buy proper shoes for your kind of pronation, it may cause various problems including yours. Another problem can be that you have poor blood circulation. Yet another option is that your posture is not correct so your spine is exposed to too much effort and it reflects on your feet. Anyway, go and see your doctor.

My toes used to go numb when I ran. I had compartment syndrome which caused the tissue around my calves to not expand with the blood flow. I'm pretty sure that since the blood flow was restricted, that that was the main cause of numbness. However, this would only be relevant to you if you ever got shin splint pain from running.