I've been exeperienceing a severe sharp stabbing pain (like I'm being stabbed with very hot knives or other sharp objects) in my upper right abdominal area. This pain also rediate into the upper half of my right rib cage and into the upper right part of my back, under my shoulder blades. Occassionally the pain will radiate into the upper left abdominal area and rib cage area. I've had this pain on/off for well over a year and it has just gotten worse over the past 2 or 3 months to where it is constant though the severety gets worse and lessesn.

About a month ago in a blood test done by doctors in an ER my lipase enzyme was high (I think that's what its called anyway). I don't have my gulbladder any more, it got taken out about 6 months ago. My doctor can't seem to figure out what is going on. The pain gets so severe that I have had to go to the ER 1 or 2 times a week for the past month and a half and now the last time I was there I was accused of just "faking abdominal pain" to get pain medication. Which of course wasn't the case. My blood work often comes back "normal" but it did also when I was having trouble with my gulbladder and had galstones.

Does any one have any ideas as to what may be wrong with me and any natural remidies that could help???

I have the same thing, exact same spots..I dont think it is anything serious, ive had my liver tested and everything was fine, I have also been diagnosed with IBS, dont know if its at all related

I have same problems, and the only thing my doctor found was low calcium, which we didn't think was related. Also I had an ultra sound and my gallbladder, kidneys, and pancreas looked fine. Protonix helped my upset stomach problems, but not this. I hear you on wanting to find out. I have a high tolerance for pain, or I think I'd be in the ER just as much. We can't go living like this. If you find out let me know.

I also have the same problem. a few months ago I went to the ER with severe upper abdominal pain... my amylase and lipase levels were sky high.. They told me I had pancreatitis. One month after that, I went back to the ER with the same pains... no pancreatitis, and I had a doctor telling me I was faking for pain meds too... >:( They did a hyida (HI-da) scan and found out my gall bladder is "sluggish". its just really slow for some reason. They didnt take it out, and I have never had any stones that they saw. Its been 6-7 months since I have had problems, but for the last 3 days the pain is back. I can't eat without severe pain... I can't sleep without waking up every so often with a severe stabbing pain below my sternum. The only difference today is that my pain seems to be more of a dull constant pain with stabbing pulling severe pain on and off throughout the day and night. Nothing helps so far. I have tried chamomile tea, heating pad, ice packs, vicoden, tums..... I have a docs appt today. Will post more if I find anything out. Good luck

I had to rush my son to the ER last night because he was doubled over with sever stomach pain. It was in the upper part of his stomach and ran across from the right to the left and mostly on the right. He said that it would sometimes go into his back. When I got him there his blood pressure was 169/109 with a heart rate of 130. They stared an IV fluids and gave him a shot of Morphine and Zofran which eased the pain but it was still intense. He was shaking uncontrolably when we arrived at the ER. They did a UA and CBC and all it showed was a slightly elevated white count, but they thought it was because he had been throwing up. Before we left they gave him a cocktail called a "grasshopper" which was malox, lidocaine, and two other meds which numb the esophagus and stomach lining and discharged him. This was enough to get him some rest and this morning he is better but he says that he can still feel the pressure in his upper abdomen. Does anyone have any ideas of what this may be? He said the day before yesterday it hurt like that but it went away. I am worried. He has a heart condition where the left side of his heart does not pump out the blood like it should (left ventricular dysfunction) so he has to take meds for that and the right side of his heart the electrical pulses do not go through the heart but around it (right bundle branch block). Could there be a problem with this? Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am going to make a Dr. appointment on Monday for him. Just worried through the weekend.

Boldelly

I have had upper stomach pain since my teens. I used to wake at night crying from the pain which used to radiate to my back. It was a dull ache most of the time. A friend told me she had a hiatus hernia and used to get spasms of the esophagus from acid reflux and also when she had too much to eat or put on weight. It was repaired with an operation and she was much better. I read about this and decided that GERD was probably the cause of my pain. A scan showed no problems with the gall bladder. Last year I had such a severe attack of chest pain that I thought I was having a heart attack. I could hardly breathe (short, shallow gasps) and the pain was, I hate to say it, on a par with my birth pain. It lasted 20 minutes and was followed by a cool, burning sensation. It happened after I had been lying down. After seeing a gastroenterologist I was diagnosed with GERD, probably worsened by hiatial hernia. He was more concerned with treating the GERD as it was causing my now frequent bouts of painful esophageal spasm. I was put on ranitidine but read that usually people have to go on it for life and sometimes it stops having such a good effect. It calmed the acid production long enough to allow my esophagus to heal. But then I discovered Slippery Elm capsules which I break open and eat with honey to make it more palatable. Google Slippery elm if you think you may have esophagus pain. It was my best discovery as it heals ulcers and erosion of soft mucous membrane.

I have been suffering with these most severe upper abdomin spasms.It just goes into a complete spasm and it feels as if i'm going to die. The pain is there when i eat, sleep or even when i'm sitting at work. There are days when i cannot even walk for longer then 10 minutes without my abdomin going into spasm. I have been to doctors who have 1st diagnosed me with spestik colon. I am put on Colofac which is basically a pain killer but it seems that, that too is not working well these days. My stomach is totally bloated and my tummy is tender. I am due to go for a scope to actually see what is wrong with me as the pain travels right through my upper body. At times it is so severe that i could just curl up and die. If anybody can find me a solution please assist as i'm so desperate.

Like many posters, I too have this pain. I can only liken it to post-op abdominal surgery when the air is trying to disipate. Anyway, what has worked for me (despite compaining to my docs, ER, etc) is to have my husband "pop" my back. Usually in the middle, it will give a good pop and in a few, I'll feel better. Another trick it to roll up a thick towel and lay on it length-ways under your spine. Put your hands above your head and try to relax. Of course, it only works after the popping of the back.

Good luck to all...it is a miserable situation to be in.

Melissa

I was doing some research about this situation becuase my bf has the same problem and his doctor can not figure out what is wrong with him. All of his ultrasounds, xrays, barium enima, colonoscopy and blood tests have come back normal. Something i could suggest is possibly Sphicter of Oddi dysfunction. It sounds like it has all the same symptoms. It is a rare disease so your doctors might not have thought to test for it but symptoms are sharp pain in the upper right side of stomach. Just a shot in the dark but why not try..

Talk to your doctor about a medication called NuLev, it is a medication that relaxes gastrointestinal spasms frequently overlooked and mistaken for symptoms similar to pancreatitis, ovarian cysts, pyelonephritis (Infection of the kidney's). This medicine relaxes and calms the muscles of the stomach, bladder, intestines, and colon. We see a lot of abdominal pains in the ER, and sometimes it is found that when CT, ultrasounds, blood work, etc... are found negative, it can be as simple as GI spasms which are easy to overlook. It may not hurt to be referred to a Gastroenterologist or have an endoscopy performed for further evaluation.

A useful online overview for NuLev (Generic Name: Hyoscyamine)

Hope this helps!

HM3 C.

Hospital Corpsman U.S. Navy

Emergency Department

I've had this pain in the upper right quadrant of my ab. and i have had almost every test known to man and have been seen by 3 doctors. I do not have my gull bladder and have had MRCP, CT's (2) and EGD and Colonoscopy, and all the Drs come back and say "I dunno" this pain has caused me to lose my job, and I'm still in pain. I have been checked for phorphyria, celiac disease, duct blockages, they have ran test for liver enzymes, and H-pilori, and just about everything, i have even been to Cleveland Clinic, where I thought that maybe I would get my answers, but again, Nope.... if anyone has any ideas of what this could be please let me know

It may be your gallbladder...this same thing happpened to me and i ended up having so many gallstones after they found them (arounf the 6th time I went to the ER) I had to be rushed to emergency surgery! So I would make them check your gallbladder through an ultrasound in the ER room.... hope this helps.... Godd luck to you

Been doing some research online for the exact same thing you are referring to in your article. Have you found any answers yet? I have had all the same tests and more. The are always negative. Had my gall bladder removed to. Now my doctors want me to go to the Cleveland Clinic, but I see that did not work for you. I hope you found some help and can share with me. Thanks!

Literally same pain, sometimes it feels like my chest is hurting too, but I also think it could just be cuz its so bad in the top center abdominal area. I'm only 21 and this has been going on for a year in October. Also the doc has taken several test and says its IBS. I think that's bull though, like an I give up answer. Idk what cancer feels like but I'd throw that name on this

Honestyly I am a celiac sufferer and I read this story and wanted to personally tell you, get yer boy in and get him tested, you say he has a heart condition but honestly heart conditions and celiac disease go hand and hand together, something I recently found out myself with all the problems I've had with my heart and celiac, please don't take it lightly most people that have it don't even know, so its well worth getting him checked out