I just recently had a laparoscopy after trying to conceive for 20 cycles. I had an endometrioma on each ovary. Adhesions were pulling my ovaries down and they were stuck to the back of my uterus, luckily my tubes were fine. They were able to free everything up, also get all the endometriosis out. Question is: what are my chances of conceiving now? My RE thinks I may have another endometrioma developing on my other ovary. He said it 2 weeks after surgery. Is it possible that it could already be growing back? Are my ovaries totally dysfunctional now?

Endometriosis is usually not "cured". With what sounds like at least moderate endometriosis, "all" the endometriosis is never removed. Our only hope with surgery is that the resulting adhesions are much less severe than those removed. The good news is that endometriosis can be effectively treated and a realistic expectation from surgery alone is about 25-30%. Chances of fertility are dependant on the amount or location of endometriosis. How much and how well the endometriosis was removed is important too. Our major treatment options for endometriosis are laparoscopic surgery and GnRH. Sometimes, a pregnancy is achieved in the first several cycles after surgery, but it is also very good news that both tubes are open. If there is an additional problem of ovarian dysfunction, the situation becomes complicated.