I’ve noticed severe pains in my elbows when I’m riding a bike. It has been troubling me for over a few days. At first I thought it was only because of muscle inflammation after the winter pause in cycling, but the pain wouldn’t disappear. What can it be? I hope I didn’t get rheumatism or something that could prevent me prom cycling and cause other health problems.

I don’t think it’s rheumatism. The most probable reason for your pain is tendonitis. Tendons are tissues that attach muscles to the bone. There are various places where tendonitis can occur and certain areas are especially vulnerable in athletes due to exhausting exercises. In you case, I think it’s tennis or golfer’ elbow. The two differ only in the place where inflammation occurs in the arm. Since your arms are constantly in the same position while you’re cycling, your elbow tendons are exposed to the constant pressure and tendonitis usually occurs when the same group of muscles performs repetitive movements. You should check whether your arms are in the proper position while your riding your bike, because incorrect posture can also lead to this syndrome.

check your bike setup