i am a 26yr old single mum of 3 n almost a yr ago i was in a car accident, just this past january they discovered my hip n lower back pain was caused by a torn labrum. he then told me i'd need surgery:( i'd like 2 know if it's possible 2 b caused by a MVA, i beleive my doctor told me yes but i was in such shock after the word surgery i can't remember... any advice on this will b very appreciated good or bad. i wana know it all, the pain, the recovery, the after results........
again please n thank-u from a family in need of answers

I had my hip injected with dye last week, and I will be visiting my surgeon on July 31, 2008, yeah I know, quite the wait, and my surgery will be scheduled soon after that. However, my doctor gave me some quick facts regarding my surgery and the recovery. I will be on crutches for about 1-2 weeks after surgery, and out of baseball for 6 weeks. I will be going back to college for my sophomore year in August, and will have to sit out. Therefore, I will be missing part of the season. But they said after 6 weeks I should be fine to play. They also said that pain of the same kind will occur in the other hip before and after the surgery, and that there is nothing to be alarmed about. I noticed also that you wrote this in February, if you find out any other information, let me know... like if you've already had the surgery, is there anything that I should know?

Brent Caviness
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I was hit by a car while working a year ago and was told by the 1st doctor I seen that it was nothing and to live with it and take meds. After dealing with it ruining my home life and taking me away from baseball and other sports activities I got a second opinion from the Cleveland Clinic and the orthopedic surgeon diagnosed me in one visit. The surgeon went over my options and we decided that the surgery would be my best option. The surgeon I went to was so booked that my appointment was 2 months out, since I had kept working through the whole 2 years, it had gotten to a point where I could not do daily activities without getting sick. My doctor sent me for an MRI arthiogram and it showed a significant tear of the hip labrium. My surgery was moved up and I had the surgery on June 12, 2008. The procedure took approximately 1 hour and I spent about 2 hours in recovery and was released from the hospital. I went home and spent the next 2 days in bed, getting up to use the restroom with the use of crutches and the 3rd day the doctor said that if I felt up to it I could get up and move around the house a little bearing weight as tolerated. I have had no pain from the surgery and have felt great, I also iced the hip most of the time for the first week and have not pushed to get back to activity to quickly. Following the rules set by my doctor has been the best thing to do for me. After the surgery my doctor advised me that the labrium was torn pretty bad, not the worst that he has seen, but the worst he has seen in someone my age (36yrs old). I also had arthritis build up because I let it go for so long, he also cleaned the arthritis out. I have not had to take the pain meds that he prescribed me. The best advice I can give to you is to make sure you research the doctor that you use and make sure that he is one of the leading doctors at the procedure in your area, and also the hospitals reputation.

Hi there, I am a 31 year old male athlete, I have had my left labrum anchored and they also microfractured the articular cartilage in the acetabulum in the hip joint, the surgery went ok but the recovery was bad, I was in alot of pain because they put your food in a sort of boot and streach the joint open to get the surgical tools in, I was on crutches for 3 months which was hard, after one year I was able to return to the gym and after only one month of training it is not clicking and locking again, so will need another MRI to diagnose this. I have also had my right Labrum repaired 3 weeks ago, the surgery was fast, and I had no t much pain afterward unless I presssed on the tiny cuts, I can weight bear but it gets inflammed so im still using crutches, if you get the surgery make sure you are prepaired to take a lot longer to recover than you are told, look into Hyaluronic Acid injections and take glucosimine. and no hyperflexion of the leg or the surgery can be upset...

I'm 56 and in my 3rd week of recovery from this same surgery. They did arthroscopic surgery which means I only have 2 small incisions which closed in a week. Surgery took 4 hours and I was home that same evening without pain killers. Been painfree ever since, unless I twist my leg accidently. Started driving again 2 weeks after surgery. I'm also taking glucosamine after the therapist said it works.

Doc shaved off bone spurs and reattached torn cartilage on 10/16. I had to go 1 week without putting ANY weight on the leg at all, and have been on a walker since. I'm not to put more than 50% of my weight on my hip, so I can stand with both feet together, but lean heavily on the walker to take a step.

I see him on the 13th when the therapist expects I'll be put on 1 crutch for support. They said I shoudl be walking with no support the 6th week after surgery.

I took one step without thinking, and without the walker the other day, but though it ached the rest of the day, it was fine the next day. Pay attention to your doctor and do the physical therapy. You'll recover quicker.

I am 31 years old and I had this surgery 8 weeks ago!! I have been pain free since! 10 days no weight bearing with crutches. Started physical therapy 10 days after surgery! Have been going 3 times a week since! At my 6 week post op I was still on crutches. He gave my another 4 weeks with crutches due to my job requirements but 2 weeks after that visit I am using 1 crutch and my gate has hugely improved! Be careful and follow doctors and PT's orders! But also let them know what you are feeling so they can help you recover as fast as you body can!!