i have had bronchitis, tonsilitus, and might have had strep throat b4 recently i have had the flu but i went to the doctors and he said i was negative for strep...and my throat is killing me...it has lasted a week now and i have had a stiff neck with it, i have the urge to swallow all the time, it disturbs my sleep and my lymph nodes are swollen...i smoke and it is just making it worse. but i don't know what it is, i am worried that it could be throat cancer but from my research it doesn't look to be throat cancer. I am only 20 years old so i problay don't have throat cancer, who knows i need advice please....( and i know I should quit)

Its kind of coincidence, I currently also have a very painful throat right now. My throat has also been very sore, and also extremely painful at times when I swallow. From have strep throat before I'm almost positive that it is different this time. It hurts a little without swallowing, but it is only when I eat and stuff that I feel the pain so much. I also thought it could have been throat cancer since I do smoke occasionally and I have been a user of chewing tobacco, but after talking to others, and since I'm 21, I'm pretty certain that it isnt cancer. Its been 4 days now, and if it doesn't clear up in the next three days or so, I'll then go to the doctor. If anyone knows what this could possibly be, I would really appreciate a response. I'm really concerned about what it is since its still very painful like a sore throat Ive never had. Thanks.

How strange. I'm trying to find out what's wrong with me and found this. It's been two weeks for me. I smoke and I'm almost 20. Are you better yet. Have you found out what it is?

I have had soar throat for 4 days now. It doesnt feel scratchy or anything like that. It feels like the walls of my throat are swollen and when I attempt to look at the back of my mouth the entrance into my throat appears to be dark red. This also causes pain in my inner ear (both of them) and my nose cavity appears to be wide open. It hurst really bad when I swallow...really, really bad. I am rinsing my mouth and throat with warm salt water and I have taken all kinds of medicine and nothing seems to help. oh my tonsil seems be longer and laying on top of my tongue... it could just be my paranoia. Any one knows what this is?

"It hurts really bad when I swallow...really, really bad".
I seem to have pretty much the same thing. My throat pain is only on the left side though, and pain in the left ear. Also hurts when i yawn, cough, and sometimes talking. Im 16, and i dont smoke, so i know its not from this. Still haven't figured this out.

I'm also sixteen, i don't smoke.. and i also have a very sore throat, it often hurts to speak, swallow.. i can't eat properly.. even when i drink liquids it hurts.
But it is mostly painful when i try to sleep, i wake up in the middle of the night.. and my throat feels very dry.. and it is very painful, it's just pure agony.

The gland/ tonsil on the left side of my throat is the only painful one though, i have used anesthetic lozenges, butter menthol lozenges.. and none seem to be working.
I just don't want to be down for yet another 4 days.. because it is pretty much the worst pain i've been in for quite some time.

have the exact same problem. i went to doctors 4days ago and he put me on a penicilin course, pills which was helpful considering swallowing even water is putting me in agony, and my tonsils are more swolen than ever.

i am a smoker also and am 18 years old, everytime i cough now apart from the searing pain im coughing up cytarr or tar which is quite disgusting, my mouth is salivating 10times more than usual so i have to keep spitting.

have any of you found anything you can eat instead of starving to death?

Wow. It looks like we're all in the same boat. I also found this while trying to figure out what was wrong with me. The pain in my throat is killing me. It started out like a normal sore throat (three days ago), but soon the pain became more of a stabbing pain in a concentrated part of the right side. I can feel it in my ear, too. That was yesterday. Today the stabbing pain has moved to both sides, and I can feel it in both my ears. It kinda hurts when I'm just normal, but it kills when I swallow. I'm 18, and don't smoke (although my mom did for a long time when I was little). I went to the doctor two days ago, right after I first started getting sick, because I was worried it had to do with teh fact that I'd given blood because it started right after that. The doctor seemed to think it was a virus and put me on Mucinex D, which is over the counter. That helped me feel better, but then the stabbing pain became a problem. I'm going to call back on Monday and see what they tell me. I'll let you know then.

I"m 27 years old and a smoker. I just got the exact symptoms previous ppl have described. It started 2 days ago with a mild sore throat and entire body aches. Then next day I woke up, with severe pain in my throat when I swallowed. Made me cry because the pain was so bad. I went to the Dr.'s and she prescribed antibiotics and said it was prolly strep throat. Been on it for 2 days now and my left lymph node has swollen and is still painful. Don't know what to do. I've been lying in bed for 2 days straight now because the pain is just too much for me, with an earache in the left ear as well. Has anyone figured out wat it is yet?? Thanks a lot....

I have the same problem, it hurts so bad when I swollow i could cry, restless nights and I have tried EVERYTHING, warm salt water, vicks, buckleys complete, Cepacol sore throat spray, chloaseptic lozengers, life lozengers, tylonal, advil extra strength, ... It's been 4 days now of me contantly sucking on some sort of throat lozenger or using spray\pills etc, i went the hospital and they gave me NOTHING.. I'm in such agony I don't know what to do with myself, I can't take this fever or pain in my throat any longer........ :@ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18
none-smoker

Hi, I'm a 19 year old male, and right now I'm extremely worried about my health. I'm hoping that you guys can help me. I recently (about 4 months ago maybe a little longer) got a lymph node biopsy, because I have several swollen lymph nodes around my neck area. Two on my bottom left side, one on my right side, and another underneath my jaw. The one on my right side is now gone due to the biopsy. The problem I have now is that for the past month or two I've been getting sore throats, but it wasn't until 6 days ago that my situation worsened. Now it hurts to swallow, eat, and drink. Also i've been coughing so much I cant even sleep right at night. Could I still have cancer even though my lymph node biopsy was negative? What should I do in this situation. Please help me out. I'm going crazy with this. Thank you!
I would consider myself a smoker. not all the time, but i've done it time to time for like 5 years.

My roommate had this problem and found out he had chlamydia from having oral sex. If you're having sex get tested.

My roommate had this and found out he had chlamydia from having oral sex so if ya'll having sex go get tested cause apparently chlamydia is the "silent disease".

I would have to suggest getting tested for mono. I had this before and I remember swallowing was very difficult for me. I couldn't get out of bed for days. I know they say that mono is a kissing sickness. NOT TRUE! I hadn't been kissing anyone. They say you can only get it once, but I am not sure of that. I have started another episode with a sore throat. I am up typing to you guys because it hurts so bad I cannot sleep. The pain is so bad, i have tears. I am debating on going to the emergency but I am sure they will send me home like some of you have stated. I don't know why I keep getting these sore throats. My glands are swollen and hurt to the touch. I have tried everything as well, nothing helps. My ears are aching. I have white stuff on my tongue, that won't come off. I just wish I could sleep. I haven't slept well for 4 days now, because of this pain. I am afraid I am going to lose my job, cause I cannot think to work. I have three kids I'm raising. This really sucks. I don't have tonsils anymore so I know its not that. I thought when you get your tonsils out you wouldn't have sore throat pain. NOT TRUE! Well, if somebody has some answers for us sore throat people please, please, please. HELP!

OK i have the exact same symptoms but i know its not from Oral sex or from Throat cancer because i am 14 years old. i just got this 2 days ago after i had the flu and i cant sleep. every time i swallow it feels like im tearing apart my throat ive tried I.B Prophen and Tylenol extra strength so i dont know exacly what to do i havnt been in school for 3 days and 1 of them was for flu and the rest were because of my throat. My mom said it would go away soon because i probably have a cold but im not coughing and my nose is doing just fine so i dont know what to do. Please help me