Hello! I am a guy 21 years old and I am using ganja from time to time, and it is cool, but from time to time I get panic attacks, and feel like I am going to jump in front of a moving car! Why do these things happen? I am a lot open minded but I am puzzled now what to do… Should I stop using marijuana?

Well, you are asking questions which you know answer to. Yes, you should quit, because you can never know how you are you going to react to it. It alters the way you think, and you can never know when is enough. When you stop thinking about your parents, family, friends? If you can't handle it well, don't use it. It is like me and alcohol-I drink one drop, and I am busted. I know you are not going to listen to me, but just think about this for a minute.

I had 3 to 4 panic attacks when I was in the fifth grade so Weed had not been apart of my vocabulary. The next time I had a panic attack was the first time I actually got really stoned; which was like my 3rd time smoking pot. Its a terrible feeling! Life is so precious when you have a panic attack because you really feel like your fighting for your life. I am an occasional smoker now and I have learned that different strains can give you a really paranoid feeling. Also, the reason panic attacks happen is because your brain is trying to remove itself from certain situations that you are worried about. Weed obviously alters brain cells giving you a heightened sense of reality. Ultimately, people who get panic attacks while high;; thier brains are saying that they dont like being away from the norm. These are people that like to have total control of themselves. All of the sudden, you start to feel like your gonna pass out, your body is heavy, and you pay more attention to your heart beating. These things are what inhance your paranoia and then eventually trick you into thinking that your gonna die. I recommend that if you are a paranoid smoker, only do it with somebody your comfortable with. I used to drive around and get high but hated it because I had the extra concern for police. Just dont put yourself in a uncomfortable position because even the smallest worry can cause a panic attack and you wont even see it coming!

Hey Mendy,

Although you posted this topic several years ago, I have come across this problem not only personally, but with many people I have met. I suffer from anxiety/panic attacks and the first panic attack I ever had was the first time I smoked pot. It was terrifying, and humiliating (I called an ambulance on myself as I had NO idea what a panic attack was, I was stoned and I totally thought I was dying) What you need to realize is that panic attacks are TOTALLY controllable, while they might not feel like it at the time. I would suggest looking into medical literature about controlling/preventing panic attacks so you can enjoy smoking some "ganja" every now and then. Also - don't feel compelled to smoke, if it's not your thing, it's not your thing. ;-)

I myself have had these panic attacks and I used to not get them. One day I had a nice little helping and I had no worry in the world was just surfing the web, I was hit with the heavy breathing then slowly you start to lose control of your surroundings and your high subdues you into a realm you cannot control.

My heart has never beating so hard and for 3 hours straight I was so sure I was dieing as if life was being sucked from me. I was shaking dramatically, then my mind made me think I was having a seizure.
The pain was so much for me all I wanted to do was die. Then my legs started aching and in my mind I swore they were black and blue. I thought I needed to go to the hospital, but knowing that was dumb I called a loved one and when they showed up the trip started slowly decreasing.

But yet When they seen me I was pale and purple, I induced my self into such a shock I hardly was breathing...One of the worst things to happen in my life people cannot grasp the fact of what one goes threw in that mind set. But I still love to smoke because when its good its good. I have had many trips since then not as sever, The best advice to give it to get lost into something else, if that doesn’t work tell your self your going to be fine and just keep walking around until your sober...

Sorry for the long story but I thought I would put it out their for people who have experienced this and your not alone if its not for you...its not for you

penis

Any questions feel free to email _[removed]_

I tonight was one of the ones who ended up at the hospital thinking i was dying, and after i calmed down i came home and consulted the internet for others who have had the same thing happen. I had 2 small tokes and that partly triggered it. For the past few months ive had the increased heart rate after i smoke and i had just now remembered what made it go away. and you may call me crazy but poping on the PS3 and escaping into a game made me not think about my fast heart beat and feel as if i got heart problems. Im going to try and not think about the crazy stressful thoughts and just do like i said, pick up a game and not let the thoughts take over. And slowing down on the herb won't hurt either. I hope this helps . and thank you to anyone who may come across my message for not judging how im going to handle my problems. I wish you all well and bless

I had an experience like this as well... It was the worst experience of my life. I was smoking one night with 2 friends and only had like 3 hits of a joint. About 5 minutes later it hit me. At first i was fine and was laughing but a few seconds later, i felt like i couldn't move. I was in a whole different world and my friends told me i was just sitting there drooling. While they saw me on the outside, i felt like i was trapped on the inside, stuck in a single moment if that makes sense. I felt like i was gonna have a heart attack cause my heart was beating so hard and fast. I was very sacred and thought i would stay like that forever. I could not function at all and i just wanted to snap back into reality. I just decided to go to sleep and sleep it off. Truly the scariest moment of my life.

I just so happened to google this question because it happened to me the first few times i smoked and i was hysterical because panic attacks are the scariest things in the world. i felt like i was dying and what not. at first i was really relaxed and then my chest got heavy and time seemed to stand still for me but not everyone else. it was like suspended isolation or something. and i could see my friends but i couldn't really look at them it was crazy. i ruined their high because i kept repeating im tripping out. and i couldn't filter the thoughts in my head so i was just blurting out everything i was thinking good and bad. it felt like i could hurt myself and i was having difficulty swallowing and my heart was hella loud. it was the scariest moment of my life i wanted to go to the hospital. i felt stupid and i thought i was the only one who had experienced this. i also felt like every time i blinked the day kinda started over or like i would transition from reality to being high.

I have had the same problem about three years ago. I was sitting on my couch with my wife and we smoked a blunt. I have smoked since I was 14 and never had a attack. Then I all of a sudden started freaking out my heart started beating and I felt numb and started having hot and cold flash's and could not breath. I instantly jumped into the shower but the hot water made it worse. I soon started to feel better talking to my wife explaining what was happening then I started to think about it and it happened again so I went to the hospital. I lived real close so I walked it felt good to walk but the doctors seemed to not care and I really felt out of my body so I just left felling like they did not care at all I did not know what was going on and they seemed pretty stoopid. I went to my doctor the next day and he made me go take blood test and try 20 diffrent pills in a six month period but I was still having them on and off even though I quit smoking my doctor seemed as if he new nothing about anxiety/Panic attacks as well. I finally met someone who had explained they had the same problem and they took xanax. So I bought some xanax from a friend who was getting them for anxiety. The first time I took one it seemed it was a miracle I felt normal. I started taking .5 of mg twice a day and it helped like no tomorrow. I am now seeing a Phyciatrist and he prescribes me xanax and totally understood like he had had one before unlike my doctor thought I wanted drugs. He had explained to me that he has had what is simulair to a panic attack you know when you are sitting in your car and another one next to you is moving but you think it is yours but your foot is on the break and you freak out a little.my problem is like that but last longer and bring a more heightened awareness.He then told me about a great book that I already had if you do not have it it is a must have a great book called the Anxiety Disease the author is David V. Sheehan, M.D. it is the greatest book for this problem and and explains stuff as if you were the one who wrote it. I have not smoked since the first attack that has been 3 years. I do miss it but I do not wish to ever feel that way again.

Last night I had a panic attack after having 5 or 6 hits off a vaporizer. Man it was terrible, like the worst thing ever.
What helped me and eventually (after 2 hours) made me calm down was
pacing back and forth with an ice pack on my face while my girlfriend and I played a game. The game was thinking of kitchen appliances for every letter of the alphabet. I know it sounds silly but it made the attack subside a bit, and it kept me kind of level headed until the weed wore off. I found (at least for me) the worst things to do were listen to music, go on the computer or watch T.V. I hope this helps.

I started weed years ago because, heck, everyone was doing it. Fun times back then - but I remember the fun was mostly from hanging out, not from getting high. Most of the time I spent keeping myself together while dealing with panic attacks. It wasn't until I smoked the 'killer stuff' that I had the ultimate panic attack and decided to quit for quite awhile - after nearly admitting myself into the hospital for what seemed like a heart attack.

Then I discovered alcohol - much different buzz. I loved it. Maybe had ONE panic attack while getting drunk - and that's when I was hitting the hard liquor a little too much at a time.

To this day I still get panic attacks after toting only a little bit. Doesn't matter what quality stuff I try. To me it feels the same as the fear I get from being afraid of heights. It's like I have no control over my thinking and I feel like I'm losing my head (literally). All that leads to is panic, which then leads to all sorts of problems (breathing difficulty, increased heart rate, dry mouth, paranoia, etc.). If I drink with it, it's not so bad - but I have to drink enough to get drunk. So why bother?

I'm normally a very cautious, alert individual. Anything that creates a big change for me is uncomfortable. What I found to work with pot is, smoke a very little (half a hit, and don't hold it in), feel out the effects for 15 minutes or so, and do it again, and again, until I am comfortably numb, so to speak. That's the same reason doctors have you gradually increase your dosage over time - too much is too much. Drinking plenty of water helps, as well as being in a familiar environment.

If you find yourself in a panic attack, look at the clock, take note of the time, grab a large bottle of water, and go for a long walk. Do circles around the block if necessary. It should subside within 30 minutes. If not, do it again. Time is the best weapon against a panic attack. You won't die. Look at the bright side - it's great excersize!

If you are prone to panic attacks DO NOT SMOKE WEED!! I can see by the number of replies this is quite common and I experienced this recently when my friend suffered a panic attack after getting high. Just after getting high she claimed that she didn't feel well and began to freak out, we were able to calm her down and minutes later she was laughing about how embarassed she was because she was so high. She felt as though she was out of her body watching herself. Minutes later she fell on to the ground and said that she couldn't feel her arms or legs, she began screaming for us to call 911. She kept screaming over and over that she was dying until the paramedics came. She was fine by the time they took her to the hospital where she waited for hours on hours to be treated. Do not put yourself and your friends in to this situation if you can help it! I can still hear her screaming and haven't slept in days. Knowing that the pot that I brought led to something as crazy as this has totally changed my perspective... I am and avid pot smoker and have no intention to stop but I won't be inviting anyone I don't super well to smoke pot with me EVER again.

Oh wow, I thought this only happened to me. So here's my story. Im 14, male. I came home after school and went to my friends house to hit the piece. After smoking like 5 bowls of some pretty decent weed, I was fine at first. I ran around a little bit, lost control kind of. I went to stand up on a stool to get food out of his thing and I snapped out of this world into another world and was looking at myself standing on this chair from a 3rd person perspective. It was weird, I stopped what I was doing, got down. Looked at my hands and was like wtf? I felt like I wasn't real and I got really scared and this is where it all happened. It was a snowy depressing day which didn't help this situation anymore either. I went outside thinking fresh air would help or something. I felt like I was floating on a cloud and like i was dreaming. Their was millions of thoughts going on in my head non stop that I got a instant killer headache. I felt so bad, the worst feeling I have ever felt in my life and most scariest. I didn't like the feeling at all. This was also like my 8th time getting high, before I was just chill and talked a lot about life and the world and what not. So, I was feeling weird and not myself. My friends followed me out and where confused because they didn't know what was going on either. I didn't feel real, I felt like the world was fake blahblah. I went back inside, and started thinking I was going to die or have a heart attack or a seizure or something because Im really scared of that happening to me. I tried laying down on his couch and attempting to sleep but I just couldn't. I think the reason I flipped out most is because I just poured cold water on my face as if I needed to wake up out of a dream and it was about 10 degrees out. I was shivering and thought I was like going to die or something. So, I couldn't sleep and I killed all my friends highs. I then decided to go home and everything was a daze. I felt like I needed to jump in front of a car to wake up out of it or something. So I got home, high as a kite and was like mom, im not feeling good im going to rest. She knew something was up but I just told her i was sick. So I tried sleeping in my own bed again, but once again did not work. It doesn't sound as bad as it was but it was terrible and this is just the start. So I took a 4 hour shower, which helps a lot and I had to keep reminding myself I was real. I felt like I was stuck in a video game. It came down to the point I would burn myself with the hot water to prove to myself I was real. I then managed to calm down and go to sleep for 20 hours. I woke up confused and felt really weird. I didn't feel myself and I forgot who I was. Not my name, or anything but how I acted like what my personality was like. It was weird man, really scary. For 3 months, I was questioning life, having panic attacks everyday and freaking out and looking at things so complicatedly. I was scared it was going to last forever and didn't know what to do. Time passed and it went away. I smoked again after my flip out and it was just a regular high. I was switching in and out of worlds for like an hour or so but everything got back to normal. I haven't smoked in a year or so and I still want to start back up, but I don't know If I should.

i had the exact same experience and ever since then every time i get high or even take a hit i feel like im dieing and there's one part of me that's like dude chill your fine but the other half is like im dieing its all over and wats even worse is when i smell weed i want to smoke it so so badly. my girlfriend is a huge stoner and it sucks because i want to just sit there and i want to just get stoned once with her and just chill but i know that ill just start freaking out. any way wat i have found out is that if your drunk and you get high your not paranoid i was drunk and i walked into my girlfriends clam baked room and got pretty contact high but since i was drunk i didnt care and even better i didnt feel like i was gonna puke it was the best feeling ever so if any of you are having trouble getting high like me try having a few drinks first or just smoke the stems cause ive also found that stems give some people head aches and others it makes them feel more relaxed and calm

Dude just stop...because your always going to have it in the back of your head and once it hits you its over. I wanted to comit suicide so bad but told myself it was a trap from the devil and i needed to just lay down. You have to force yourself to laydown because a million thoughts are going on in your head.really f*****g scary. It happened to me yesterday with my friends outside and it hit me and everything seemed so long just walking and i tripped out and they thought i was joking and laughing at me but all i wanted to do was jump into the lake that was close by. Everytime i thought of a cop driving by a minute later a cop car drove by. the most crazy experience ever. fells like nothings real and your in a differnet world like its fake. I kept on asking my friend for the car keys so i can go lay down and he was refusing and that freaked me out and i was thinking he was going to fight me or kill me. And whenver my friends wispered it creeped me out like they were against me. he eventually opened the door and felt so cold and heart beat going 100mph felt like i was dead and didnt care. i was traped and everyone around you seems to act strange because your thinking negetavily. So i saw myself in my head thinking its never going to end. It took 2hrs but felt like forever. NEVER WILL SMOKE AGAIN TILL I DIE!! Marijuana is bad dont care what anybody says.Its a drug.