I had a face lift 2 weeks ago and I'm very worried because I have a lot of
swelling araound the ears and jowl area and my face looks distorted.
So distorted that I'm ashamed to go into work because i'm scared people
will notice (I don't want anyone to know at work).
Also, I'm having problems eating things that are hard because of the pain when I use the relevant face muscles. Even when I'm not moving my face, I can feel it so tight, as if it has been pulled upwards too much.
Can anyone relate or has advice?

I had my facelift on March 8th and he had to redo the left side last Monday (3/12) because of hematoma and I am experiencing the exact same problem you wrote about on both sides of my face.
I pray that you are better by now and would really appreciate hearing from you!

Hi there! You should worry!! I had a face and necklift in South Africa 40 days ago. The main visual problem is that my mouth still does not open properly - it pulls down to the left hand side as if I have had some kind of stroke, and is very noticeable and embarassing when I talk. Everything seemed to be healing and settling down O.K. until about five or six days ago when I started to notice what I can only describe as "band marks" showing on either side of my face running down from my temples to my chin, and the skin on both sides of the face started to pucker up and become lumpier than it had been previously.
The worst thing is that a month and a half after surgery, the neck areas just below each ear have started to swell up again, I wake up every morning feeling as though I have a tight, tight strap inserted inside my face reaching up from my chin to both temples, and I have no idea when this feeling is likely to subside. As both lower cheeks are also extremely hot to the touch, I am worried that I may have some kind of infection.
So consider yourself lucky!!!!! I think most of us expect the healing process to be a lot quicker than it actually is, but I wish my surgeon had taken the time to explain to me that healing could take up to six months.
Good luck and just try to be patient - I know it isn't easy. I'm just trying to stop myself having another panic attack!!!!

I can sympathize with all your symptems. I had a browlift, eyelift, face and neck lift mid February. The morning after the surgery I woke up and could barely hear a thing. It was like someone had stuffed rags in my ears. My neck was so painful and stiff I had to have someone lift my head up so I could move. The Doctor looked in my ears and said they seemed waxy. This went on for 2 weeks until they gave me cortisone drops to put in my ears. My hearing was restored, however at that time my cheaks and neck started swelling. Everytime I had a bite of food or drink I would feel horrible pain in my cheaks. After doing some research I found that the Perodit Gland can be affected after facelift. No one tells you about these issues, nor do they tell you exactly how long you will be laid up. Only recently I am finding my neck is losening up a bit, before it felt like I had been hanged and my ears constantly pulling downward. My ears, cheaks were numb until a week ago, one is coming out of it but the sensation feels like burning and pulling. I am now scheduled to see an ENT to check on my ears and glands. This took a lot of convincing to get them to book me an apt. I feel like they just want to get rid of me because they don't want to be responsible for these problems.
I'm tired of taking Advil, and swelling up over the simplest things. Has anyone else experience these problems especially with the Perodit Gland and is it currable?

I had the same problem - my peridut gland was damaged - my surgeon said he only had this problem once in his whole operating carerer ?? - I could not feel - my mouth dropped on that side as though I had had a stroke - swelling from the salava going into my cheek gavity was so bad I had to have a surgical drain inserted into my cheek cavity. 3 months on things have improved but I still have no feeling in my cheek & bad swelling on that side of my face still - after 2 courses on cortozone I can honestly say things haven't really improved - sorry but my prognosis is another surgery to correct the nerve damage & Lyposuction to take out the scar tissue - wonderfull !!! Oh & I still have no feeling in my ears.

Can you tell me the doctors or clinics you went to. I am thinking of having a lift and your blog as made me think twice about this procedure
:-(

I would be interested in hearing from those who have had relatively painless facelifts and emerged happy with the result. This would help us decide whether to take the procedure. Thanks.

There is no such thing as a painless facelift. I had my facelift in my mid thirties and if I had my time again I wouldn't do it. It's a very long recovery and the doctors do not tell you of all the problems associated with this surgery. I also had the side of my mouth pulling down which was due to temporary nerve damage from lipo under my chin. Thankfully this corrected itself. My ears now stick out at the top due to the way they were pulled down and sewn back on, not happy! I have very wide scars in my head and my hair is much thinner around the scars. Having this procedure at such a young age I didn't see the results I was expecting. The clever use of fillers and botox would have been enough and I would recommend this before a facelift. I stil don't have full feeling to touch on the sides of my face 2 years on. Immediately after surgery I couldn't move my jaw or neck and still now my neck is tight when I tilt my head back. Have every other non surgical procedure but don't have a lift!!

if you want to know i had a soft face lift 10 days ago my face was swollen and still it only alittle by now and blue and yellow but it went ok only problem i have is the strings are coming out on the side of my face makes me wonder because i payed a lot of money in germany Nuernberg can anybody tell me something???? ? ? ?

Had a face lift in Dubai, Dr Khan, one month ago. No problems. Just make sure you go to a dr who is recommended by someone who has already done the procedure with that doctor. :-D

To the person who wrote that there is no such thing as a painless facelift. Sorry but you are wrong! I am 25 days post-op - I had browlift, eyes and facelift - and I I have had NO PAIN. All my stitches were dissolvable. Pick the right surgeon, do the research contact the surgeon's patients for feedback. I have not taken any painkillers, panadol, advil. I have taken sleeping tablets as I am not used to sleeping elevated and on my back. You do feel rather like a melonhead when you come out of surgery. Followed by discomfort with the tightness of the skin and swelling - and you feel very tired but that is all part of your body recovering. I rested when my body told me to. My bruising has gone - but I am still a little swollen around the neck and cheeks. I return to work on Monday - yeeks!
If you feel you need a facelift don't be put off my the negativity of others - just check out your surgeon and have a chat with the patients. If you are overweight (unfit) then lose weight and start an exercise regime - oh smoking is a big no no this certainly will help recovery.
Good luck everybody.

hello everyone I just had a facelift im going into two wks now and im very happy with the work done ...i have very little swelling or bruising my doctor had me taking arninca and bromelin before and after surgery plus hes really good i already had a tummy tuck and breast lift done by him after i had the triplets and he did an amazing job...i also had bellspalsy years ago and had the storke symptoms and look thats why i had the facelift not only it corrected the bellspalsy it also improved how i look now even after 6 kids i no longer have a tired look...i got all my before and after vitamins from .. unfortunatley i wasted money on the face garments and cooling pads because my doctor didnt want me to used them as he said it caused further swelling...so dont waste money like i did and buy the facelift pack just buy the pre and post op vitamins they do help reduce the swelling and bruising and i have been able to east since day 2 i actually had a sub on day 2 and was fine eating it....good luck to you all with your healing and do your research when it comes to doctors! :-D :-D :-D

Hi, I had a face and neck lift in Poland recently and I'm absolutely thrilled with the results! I researched for two years before I felt confident to proceed. I cannot praise Dr. Peter Rataj enough as a skilled surgeon who takes such pride in his work! Also gentle, I had no bruising and no visible signs of having a face lift when I returned 9 days later except for minimal swelling.I was picked up from the airport by Maciek, who also took me to the clinic throughout my stay.Ewa was the first person I spoke to initially, on contacting beauty holiday. Ewa is the P.A. co-ordinator and was so helpful and informative, sending photos online of previous patients before and after photos. Also organised the apartment I stayed in, which was fantastic being in the heart of Wroclaw city.The teamwork was excellent, the hospital scrupulously clean.If I decided to have any other procedure done, I would look no further! I hope this helps.

I am 5 days post SMAS face and neck lift. I have had no pain or nausea but major swelling and bruising. I ate mostly by sipping through a straw or using a tiny spoon the first 2 days. I do get lightheaded from time to time and I rest as needed. I told my surgeon that I am due to go back to work on the 13th day and my surgeon assured me the bruising would be gone by then. There may be a little swelling "but don't worry, we have medications to take care of that." I wasn't opened under my chin,only along my ears and behind them. I did mainly need a little help on my jowls. My concerns: Looks like the stitching by my ear is too tight and as a result, pulls on my right ear and makes it look funny. My face is very distorted and even with icing and application of an anti-bruise cream, I don't see how I would be able to go back to work a week from now without anyone noticing. Of course, I am the exception. Your case will always be the exception if promises do not come out after the surgery. What I am trying to impart here is that nothing is as easy or as quick as it looks/sounds. I should have requested at least another week and hope the swelling (and the bruising) is less noticeable. I hope that at the end of the day, the result is worth getting cut up, the money, and my time. I told my doctor, I want the improvement to be dramatic if I am going to subject myself to scars, etc. My doctor insisted to go for the natural look, i.e. minimal correction. We'll see.

I had a full facelift and upper and lower blepharoplasty just 3 days ago and everything appears to be progressing absolutely fine. My face is still swollen and I have some numbness but a little less so each day. Surprisingly small amount of bruising - I could go out wearing big sunglasses and would be ok. Like a previous post I had bells palsy 4 years ago and still have paralisys on the right side of my face. I am already noticing that my eyes look more even although they are still red and a little swollen. Too early to tell whether there will be any difference symetrically though. It is really important to research your surgeon thouroughly and if possible go to someone whose work you have actually seen.