In late December (Christmas night, I believe?), I noticed some red bumps on my penis shaft. It was right below the head of my penis. They never got any larger than they were when I first noticed them. They never turned into lesions, crusted, or scabbed over. All I ever noticed is that they were there one day, the next day they would start fading, and then I'd notice a tiny spot that would be peeling a couple days later. They never caused any discomfort for me; no painful urination, and only mild itching from time to time.

A little less than a month later, I noticed a rash on the front of the penis. It was quite large, but never caused any discomfort (only after having sex, bad idea, I know!). After deciding to not have sex for a week, the red mark became dry skin, flaked off, and penis went back to normal.

About a week or so after that, my scrotum became completely dry and scaly. There was some pretty intense itching from time to time, and the base of my shaft became a little red but wasn't causing any discomfort at the time. Once again, had sex with my girlfriend, and now that red mark is irritated and becomes dry every now and then. The bumps that I had in December have also returned to shaft of my penis, and they seem to be everywhere. Again, these bumps do not cause any discomfort, they do not itch or burn, and they do not seem to increase in size and do not last very long. My only concern is that now they are on the head of my penis, and there was one whitehead right on the penis hole and I remember there being one like that on the shaft of my penis back in December that popped and went away without scabbing over.

Exactly what is this? Does it sound like a bacterial/fungal infection? I understand no clear diagnosis can be made, and I should go to a dermatologist; I will when i am actually able to do so. I would have jumped tot he conclusion that it was herpes, but I'm guessing the dry scrotum and rash on penis shaft are in some way connected. Just trying to get an opinion, hopefully from someone who has had something similar happen to them in the past.

Just a couple sidenotes: These bumps did arrive not long after having sex with my girlfriend for the first time unprotected, she was on her period, and we did it quite frequently. I do not know if these bumps were there before though, because I wasn't really examining my penis all that much until I just so happened to notice a bump on it while peeing. I also put on some baby powder, which I believe might have irritated the rash on the base of my penis' shaft and spread it elsewhere causing the red bumps elsewhere.

So, no one has any idea?

It's chafing due to either tight underwear resulting in sweat irritating the skin, or not enough lube. Not using enough lube during sex or masturbation can result in those kind of symptoms.