As there were several cases of diabetes type 1 in my family, I would like to do pgd to reduce chance of having child with diabetes. As the procedure costs more than $20,000, I am not sure if it is covered by insurance. I’m 3 months pregnant. We’d appreciate any advice.

I got pgd covered by my health insurance 2 years ago. As I know not many people get it. I wrote very detailed letter to my insurance company, because both me and my husband suffer cf so there was a great risk for a baby that was needed to be prevented if possible. Fortunately I was lucky to get healthy baby. I explained them all about pgd and as basic outline of my letter was that as expensive pgd was, it was far cheaper than care of person with cystic fibrosis. My letter was full of emotions, very heartfelt, I wrote just as I felt then as a pregnant woman. My advice for you is to try the same, be very detailed both in financial, medical and emotional view.