Hi. I'm 19 years old and am trying to figure out if I have phimosis or not. Like many others, my foreskin does not retract 'all the way' (it does only a tiny little bit when erect). I would attempt to do the required stretches to fix this, but im more worried about my glans. It is very tender, sensitive and hurts when touched. Is this an infection? Or is it normal, and the more it is touched and exposed it will heal/get better? I would appreciate the help, I've had this problem for a long time but never really noticed until my foreskin was pulled way back, way hard by accident %-)

Hi vaidol,

What stretching have you been doing?

Yes its normal for the glans to be very sensitive and yes the more it is touched the less sensitive it will get.

A good way I found to desensitise the glans is to handle it under water, for example in the bath. The feeling of the warm water comfuses the nerve endings and makes that sensation less acute. Just grip the glans between your thumb and index finger and when the feeling subsides move to a different area. Also, when you can, get used to holding your penis by the glans when taking a pee.

Thanks for the reply :-) I've just been slowly pulling it back little by little just before it starts hurting and keeping it that way for a little while. I will definitely try soaking in warm water though. I'm just glad to hear this isn't an infection, will still see a doctor though to be absolutely sure.

Also, I have noticed adhesion or skin bridges between the foreskin and glans... should I just keep stretching past them? Don't want to cause any damage.

Yeh that sounds like a decent stretching method. Just be careful not to force it anywhere and be gentle.

About these skin bridges, can you just confirm that it isn't the frenulum please. And how long ago was it when you accidentally pulled it back 'way hard'.

Ah yes, that would be the frenulum. The attaching ridge on the underside of the penis if I'm correct? Also, it happened last week. The skin did not go back on it's own I had to manually bring it back, in which afterwards there was no problem.

The frenulum is a natural part of the penis so is nothing to worry about.

As long as you can get the skin back thats ok but you will need to be careful that it doesn't get trapped behind the glans. You would have to squeeze the glans and pull the foreskin back into position, but from what you say and if your careful you shouldn't have that problem.

Its just something to know rather than something to worry about.

Ok so I'm on day three of stretching my foreskin and it seems to be going ok. I can pull it back alot further than I could just a few days ago. Still working on the glans hypersensitivity though, but I'm not worried about that anymore. Still had a few questions though: Iv'e tried pulling the foreskin past the glans and it did get trapped, i was able to manually pull it back without having to squeeze the glans though. Idealy, is the foreskin supposed to go all the way past the glans and stay there? Like during sex? Also, my corona (I think that's the right word, the ring at the base of the glans where the shaft and glans meet) is purple and sort of has ridges (?) on it, kind of looks like taste buds on a tongue. Is this normal?

Yeh that sounds normal for the corona to me. Squeezing the glans is the plan B if you can't return it any other way, before plan C, which is a trip to A&E or the ER.

Your goal with the stretching it to be able to retract the foreskin back behind the glans easily. Some foreskins will stay back during sex, but others won't, it all depends on how long your foreskin is and how loose your frenulum is.

I think I've picked out all of your questions, if I've missed on or theres anything else let me know :-)