I have been with my boyfriend for a year now and I lost my virginity a year ago. Maybe a week after i lost it my vagina was itching irritated and next thing i knew it burned when i peed. i ended up getting really bad sores on my vagina and never went to see a gyn because i was too scared my mom would find out i was having sex. the sores ended up going away and my vagina was back to normal. 4 months later my doctor put me on antibiotics for a bacterial fungus on my skin and i started to produce white cottage cheese looking discharge and my vagina was hurting so bad i could barely walk. i still didnt see a doctor because i didnt want my mom to find out. ever since then i have been having itching in my vagina and it has been sore but ever so often. i continued to have sex with my boyfriend both protected and unprotected. now my vagina has broken out into the sores they did after i lost my virginity and finally i went to the gyn and he said i had genital herpes. my boyfriend has not had an outbreak yet of any sort and he says his penis is fine. the doctor never tested me or anything but prescribed me with a herpes cream. i havent used it yet because i am not too sure about my diagnosis. what should i do and how can i know for sure it is not just a yeast infection ?

I know you're young from your letter. If you have any doubts as to what your gynecologist, a doctor, told you then you should ask her/him again or seek another opinion. Remember though, any gynecologist has been doing this for a long time and has the experience to recognize, in most cases, what she/he is seeing without further tests. Of course, they can make mistakes.

Typically, sores are a sign of a herpes outbreak. The cottage cheese and discharge are typical of a yeast infection. You could have, or have had, both.

Your boyfriend, I assume your only sexual partner, may have herpes and not display any symptoms.

There are tests that can be done to confirm/disprove this diagnosis. I'd ask my doctor that they be done, and if she/he is reluctant, find another doctor.

Hope it helps.

i am very nervous because me and my boyfriend have both been faithful and since i didnt speak up about the sores before it may look like i gave him something. and his doctor told him he didnt have anything the last time he got tested is it possible for his doctor to have made a mistake saying he didnt have herpes? is it hard to detect genital herpes?

I understand why you are nervous but if your doctor says you have genital herpes then you need to tell your boyfriend so that if he does have it, he knows about it.

A lot of people do not know they even have this.

It is easiest to detect herpes when there is an outbreak, the sores are present. They can be swabbed and tested. Blood tests also can be used.

Hope this helps.

Genital Herpes is extremely contagious. It is easily passed to partners during sex, especially if you have sores at the time.

You need to tell your boyfriend and any other sexual partners either of you may have in the future.

Herpes is caused by a virus which stays in your body forever. It can become dormant and then flare up from time to time, especially if you are stressed.

If you are still unsure of your diagnosis I would ask your doctor for a more conclusive test such as the swabbing and blood test mentioned above, and also for advice on how to deal with the condition. There are various treatments available for this condition which can reduce the frequency and severity of the attacks.

??? This guy is knows jack diddly. Lol, herpes, yeast infection and even dry skin or a pimple can look exactly alike on the skin. Doctors don't know jack, they kill more people in the US than any weapons combined, shouldn't be worried about gun control, should be worried about doctor and insurance control.... It could be herpes but guessing yeast infection and you are succeptible