Locked New Topic Followed by 1 people
I am so pleased I have found this site - full of such helpful information. I am considering pinguecula removal. In reply to kam211, it would certainly help to give me the confidence to have the surgery if I could see some before and after pictures. Also, if anyone else has such pictures I would be so grateful to receive them as well - send to _[removed]_ Looking forward to hearing from you.
Many thanks

Hi. I have been dealing with pings in both eyes for 15+ years. I am now in my late 40's and am tired of the discomfort . I still look young with the exception of my eyes!!! I absolutely hate them and am very self conscious in different lighting situations. Actually, I have started to avoid those situations and so it is starting to affect my normal activities. I have 3 young kids and so I seem to always be in situations where the pings are very noticeable---soccer fields, school lighting, etc.

I live in Baltimore, Maryland and am seriously considering surgery this year. Any info on docs in this area would be appreciated. I have heard of the Harvard clinic, and seen the PBS piece. The Florida center would probably be better for me because it is here on the east coast, but I have not heard about the Gulani eye institure before. Any pics before and after, that I can get would be greatly appreciated and may give me the courage to do this!!! chris11 i would also like to find out how you got insurance coverage Also, would love to hear feedback about healing from someone in their 40's. THanks! snow37@aol.com

Chris, have your eyes completely healed? I have surgery planned with Dr. Hovanesian on 3/19. Thanks for an update!

Hi Guest,

I am in the same situation as you. I live in Toronto and am wondering where in Toronto, or in Canada, I could have this procedure done. Did you have any success finding a doctor? can you please let me know so that I can begin the process of having it removed.

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I live in Dundee in the UK and I discovered today that I have a 'ping' in my right eye.

I have been experiencing a dull pain in my right eye, but the optician informed me that was because my left eye is stronger than the right.

In fact, as it seems, the dull pain and the 'ping' are completely unrelated.

I am 26 years old, and really not too enamoured about spending the rest of my life with a white elevated blemish on my eye.

It also has a series of vains that dont look too great.

I intend to wait and to establish if this is likely to spread or become dangerous.

Its encouraging to her that its not really serious at all apart from the cosmetic implications.

Can anyone tell me the likelihood of the 'ping' either increasing in size or shifting towards the centre of my eye?

Also, on a practical day-to-day basis, should I avoid any particular types of sports or certain environments (i.e. bars/clubs)?

I play amateur football in some really windy environments, Im inclined to believe this may have been a contributing factor,

however, I also noticed a post that attributed this affliction to a particularly stressful/active childhood, of which I had both!

Please help..........

Hi Walker and Chris11...

I was wondering if you could email me about the Harvard Eye Associates. I am seriously considering removal of my Pinguecula which is causing so much redness it is really hideous. Please email me at your earliest convenience. Thanks!!

ALSO: I have been doing research into the Dr Gulani in Florida and he really seems amazing. It is 4500 per eye and he says that most have white eyes the next day, but usually takes 2-5 days for recovery. He says so far he has had no recurrences, though of course it is possible. I am living in Cali, though, and it would be more convenient to go to the Harvard one.

My eyes seem to get redder and redder and it is really paying a toll on my self esteem as I am constantly self-conscious about it.

Hi all, I'm from the Netherlands and suffer from pinguecula too, in both eyes. I hate them! I have a couple of questions:

- Could anyone send me pictures of their pinguecula(e)?
- Also people who've had them removed: before and/or after pics?
- Does anyone have tips on how to best care for your eyes (like lubrication, food, vitamins - and which), so that the pingueculae and dryness wil diminish (or: won't get worse).

I still don't understand that little is known about it, or that doctors say: it's 'nothing'. It looks very unkind! (And could give sigthproblems etc. in the future.) In my case, I really don't think the sun/UV has been the cause. What hás been? I haven't been in the very best shape the last months because of 'anemia' (a lack of ion etc. in the blood), maybe that had something to do with it. I also read that pingueculae are some sort of protein-thing, is there maybe a relation to food/nutrition or food-/digestivedisorders?

Please send your pics and reactions to:
_[removed]_[url]

Thank you very much!!!
Evelijne

To all who have been suffering from the heartbreaking news (like myself) that nothing can be done about your dry eye irritations, the removal of scar tissue or your desire for crystal clear vision… you do not have to suffer anymore. I have finally found a doctor who is committed to and is on the cutting edge of ophthalmic medicine, to resolving these (and many other) eye issues.

Hello, my name is Geraldine, and I have been suffering from chronic dry eyes, as well as deteriorating vision, that eventually aided in the formation of a yellowish growth on the whites of my eyes called pinguecula.
Growing up in Puerto Rico (during my pre-teen and teenage years) where the sun was always shining and the winds picked up during hurricane season, one can only imagine great fun; however because of the lack of protection it was inevitable that my eyes would somehow loose their brilliance. It wasn’t until I went away to college in northern Texas (where again the sun shines brightly and the wind storms kick in) that I started noticing the whites of my eyes no longer white, but red. I decided it was time for an eye exam in hopes that something could be done about the bothersome dryness and appearance of my eyes. I came away with a routine eye exam and a bottle of artificial tears.
I applied for a job at an optical store (to support myself thru college and gain some knowledge of the eyes) when I decided to further educate myself by becoming a certified optician. It was then that I met and worked for several doctors (optometrists in particular) who all prescribed numerous eye drops telling me that I was suffering from allergies. When returning to the doctors I applied for a job at an optical store (to support myself thru college and gain some knowledge of the eyes) when I decided to further educate myself by becoming a certified optician. It was then that I met and worked for several doctors (optometrists in particular) who all prescribed numerous eye drops telling me that I was suffering from allergies. When returning to the doctors over and over again, I was eventually informed all that could be done has been done. Talk about disappointing.
My husband & I have moved 8 times since leaving Texas 15 years ago, we currently reside in Florida. During the summer of 2006, people were constantly asking if something was wrong, my eyes were in a constant state of irritation therefore red. I could not take the discomfort or appearance of my eyes any longer and searched for yet another doctor in hopes that modern medicine had made a breakthrough. A local optometrist suggested that I call an ophthalmologist by the name of Dr. Arun Gulani, who he knew would be better suited for tackling this issue.
In such desperation I called Dr. Gulani at Gulani Vision Institute in Jacksonville, FL and an appointment was made promptly.
I met Dr. Gulani who was not only enthusiastic and personable with a deep concern for my problem, but also honest. Dr. Gulani immediately informed me that I suffered from pinguecula and that my eyes were severely dry. The first correction would be to plug the tear ducts (in the inside corners of my eyes) so that any moisture naturally occurring on account of my blinking would remain on the eyes for a longer period of time. The result was instant relief.
During that very same visit, Dr. Gulani educated me on what COULD be done to correct ALL the problems I was having with my eyes. I was amazed by his understanding of the situation, and the “yes, I shall strive to help you with these problems” pledge.
I walked away from Dr. Gulani’s office without feeling any pressure in making a decision regarding surgery. He insisted that I explore all options before making any surgical decision. More importantly, I walked away knowing that I had finally found a Doctor who was caring (despite his World Renowned status), willing and able.
Surgery was scheduled for Nov 2006. Dr. Gulani performed his advanced surgical technique using amniotic tissue with glue (No Stitches) to replace the discolored portion of my eye where the pinguecula had formed. Only one day after surgery, I was asked to look into a mirror Success!!!!!!! The white of my eye was white once again. Once I had healed, I was ready to tackle the next problem---Advanced Laser Vision Surgery (to correct my vision and to eliminate the use of contacts or glasses).
February 2007, the above surgery was performed in Dr. Gulani’s state of the art medical facility (Gulani Vision Institute). Now, I can actually say I have crystal clear vision (my vision today is better than 20/20. It is actually 20/15). My eyes have not looked or felt this good in over 15 years.
It has been a year and a half since my surgeries and all I can say is thank you to Dr. Gulani for giving me the vision that allows me to not only see better, but look and feel better than I have in a long time.

I wish to share my story as I have seen many of your postings online. If you are suffering from any or all of these similar symptoms, take the first step to change your life by contacting Dr. Gulani in Jacksonville, Florida Believe me, he is there for your individualized need.

**edited by moderator**

I am writing this in hopes of letting people know that there is hope and there is something you can do. I am 24 years old and live in Orlando, Florida. I am a teacher and this was my first year teaching 1st grade. July of 2007 was the first time I went to an eye doctor to get my eyes checked out because I noticed a bump on one of them. I was living in Michigan at the time and went to 2 doctors but neither of them knew what it was. It was very apparent that they were worried though because they called me multiple times once I moved to Orlando to make sure I was going to get my eye checked out. The third doctor I went to was in Orlando and immediately knew what it was; pterygium. He gave me some a bunch of drops and recommended me to a specialist.

So I went to the specialist who just kept me on drops. After months on the eye drops I lost hope because my eye just kept getting more red, more inflamed, and more noticeable I started to get depressed. I wanted something to be done to fix it. I didn’t want to be on eye drops forever and going to the doctors every 3 weeks to get a check up. So I did my research and found out that there was an option… surgery. So I asked the specialist and she told me no that I shouldn’t get it done, that I should continue the drops because the pterygium would just come back after surgery. I was crushed. She acted like it was even silly for me to ask. Yet here I am barely being able to make eye contact with people because I had become so self conscious. I don’t know how many of you deal with 5-6 year olds daily, but I will tell you they can be brutally honest. I had one girl tell me that she was nervous to look at me because my eyes scared her. I had other students ask me daily what was wrong with my eyes. I asked the specialist again and she said she performs the surgery but wouldn’t recommend it for me because I am so young so it will come back. She wanted to put me on an eye drop regimen that would calm it down. Well, I was already on predaforte and nothing was happening + I knew that I couldn’t be on drops for the rest of my life. Needless to say that was my last visit to her.

I did more research and found a top notch eye hospital in Florida, so I was once again filled with hope that something could be done. Within 5 minutes, doctor #5 told me I needed the surgery and that was that. Yay! I was excited at the time, so I booked the surgery for a couple weeks out. I went back online and started to read peoples post who have gone through the surgery. I wanted to know what it was going to be like. I read scary things about the recovery for people who got stitches and that it took like almost a year to recover and that it looked worse then before. Well, I am getting married in a year and I can’t have a “bum” eye for pictures and my wedding. I saw someone’s post about Dr. Arun Gulani in Jacksonville, Florida.

So I did the natural thing… I googled him. Pages and pages came up on him, either journal articles written with quotes from him, or journal articles written by him, or articles written on him. A lot of information was available and a lot of it had to do with his techniques for the pterygium removal surgery. So I googled doctor #5 and nothing came up except for his own website. So I emailed doctor #5 to see if he used glue or stitches. He emailed me back that he didn’t know until he was in surgery to see how things were going. Then I started thinking… even though this is a well respected hospital there is nothing that says they are good at “pterygium removal”. So I cancelled the surgery.
I made an appointment with Dr. Gulani for a few weeks out. I ended up seeing one other doctor in Orlando in the mean time because my eye was starting to hurt. This doctor made me cry in the office because he told me that I shouldn’t get the surgery and every doctor is going to tell me the same thing… “stay on the drops”. It was the worst visit I had ever had with a doctor.

My mom and I went to go see Dr. Gulani in April of 2008. I was so nervous because this was going to be doctor #7 and the previous 6 had all either made me cry or depressed. Thank god for Dr. Gulani or I would have lost hope. Not only did he listen to why I would want it, but he understood why. One of the best things about Dr. Gulani is that he gives you the time you need. You never feel like you are being rushed. The whole office makes you feel like you are the only patient in the place. He spent an hour the first time talking to me to make sure that my mom and I understood every different aspect of this surgery. And he would have spent more time if I needed it. His staff is wonderful and they are always very accommodating. I scheduled my surgery with him, and that was the first time since July of 2007 that I felt relieved, like something can be done.

Well, I am a month post op and everything is wonderful. My eye looks great! It has been so clear and white since the very next day after surgery. Looks wonderful!

Since I can’t drive to Jacksonville all the time I went back to doctor # 6 (who said nothing could be done and made me cry) to get check ups. Believe me, I didn’t want to, but he was the closest to home. He has done a complete 180 after seeing the results. The first time I saw him after the surgery he was very skeptical and by the last visit he was calling Dr. Gulani the “expert” and wouldn’t do anything without his approval. He was actually excited to see me after the first visit because he got to see the results and speak with Dr. Gulani. Also, I have talked to Dr. Gulani multiple times on the phone probably at least 5 checking up to see how I was doing. He even returned a phone call on a holiday! For the past month I have been waiting and waiting to get my other eye done. Well tomorrow is the big day… and I am so excited. I couldn’t have asked for more! Email me at _[removed]_ for pre op/ post op pictures or any other questions you may have.

I highly recommend Dr. Gulani to anyone.

misshchurch...I find your post inspiring. I've also heard a lot about the Harvard Eye Institute. Can you tell me how much the surgery proceedure w/ your Dr. Guliani cost?

Thanks

Curiousone

Those who had the pinguecula removal surgery. Do you have to have anesthesia? I am petrified of this and it is the only thing holding me back on getting the surgery. Do they use general anesthesia where they have to put the breathing tube down your throat or do they just give you a heavy sedative? Thanks.

This topic is being closed due to having too many posts.

Please continue posting within the following one: Pinguecula removal scars - part 2