Study done about the influence of marijuana on the adolescents brain shows that a teenage brain on pot looks similar to the brains of adolescents with schizophrenia.

There is still a debate going on whether drug abuse triggers schizophrenia or whether the illness itself can lead to drug abuse.

Researchers believe that people who are vulnerable and smoke marijuana may be putting themselves at risk for developing severe mental illness.

The study results may help in finding brain mechanisms that could be involved in drug abuse and its frequent association with mental illness. Whatever damage is being done, it is taking place in brain regions still under construction.

Scan studies were performed in teenage marijuana smokers; in adolescent schizophrenia patients who didn't smoke marijuana; in schizophrenia patients who also use marijuana regularly and in healthy, nonsmoking controls. It was found that a brain region called the arcuate nucleus, a bundle of fibers that connects the front of the brain to deeper regions, is underdeveloped in both schizophrenia patients and in marijuana users.

The leading scientist of the study recommends that those who have a family history of mental disorders should not to put their selves in danger and smoke marijuana especially in the period when the brain is still growing.

I firmly believe there is a connection between the two. I never had anxiety problems before I smoked pot, about 6 months into smoking I had a really bad "trip" where I was stuck in this out of sync with time feeling that didn't wear off for 3 days.

Ever since then I've been battling anxiety attacks, I swear to never smoke the stuff again, it's really ruined some aspects of my life. Yoga and daily exercise are what keep me as close to level as I can be. Anti-depressants are the devil. There are natural ways to battle these things.

It's a terrible drug under the veil of harmlessness. It's ruined several Of my friends lives. There was a 1990 study done that does link the two together however mainstream media doesnt show it as they want to keep their veiwers, and Internet media is so left wing and pro pot that it would never show up on a front page of sites like The Young Turks ect...

That same thing happened to me with severe anxiety attacks afterwards, audio hallucinations and depression. Finally after about a year, Thank God it just suddenly wore off. I'm so grateful because I was literally on the verge of killing myself. I did try counseling but I don't contribute that to aiding with why it helped. I just think the marijuana causes psychosis and the effects finally wore off. I'm praying for you. God bless. Don't give up hope and faith.