My name is Chad and I am 18 years old, my girlfriend is 17. We have been dating for about 3 years and have just started having sex a couple weeks ago. We use protection every time and are as safe as can be. I noticed after having sex that my condom was broken, but I did withdrawal before I ejaculated because I do that even if I knew the condom wasn't broken just to be extra safe. But I have heard a lot of things about possible pregnancy off of pre-ejaculation and I am very paranoid about it. This is only one day after this situation has happened and today my girlfriend was showing maybe some symptoms I thought already after just one day. She seemed to have a mood swing because she was stressed and upset, crying, and then not too long later she got over it. Then she had a headache and said she was feeling naseas. Please help me with any advice of this if you can!

Hi Chad,

It is too early for any symptoms of pregnancy to appear.  In fact, even if she was to get pregnant, conception may still not have occurred.  It can take some time.

Emergency contraceptives are an option.  They work best within 72 hours but should be taken as soon as possible.

Yes, there is a chance of pregnancy.  Precum may contain sperm.  

Hope it helps, good luck.

Where would I find these emergency contraceptive pills?

A pharmacy.

Plan B and Next Choice are two examples.

They do have some side effects. She should read the directions carefully before using them. It can for example, make her next period early or late and heavier or lighter than normal.

Would I need a prescription for them or could I just walk in and buy them? Maybe how much do they cost as well?

Depending upon where you live you should not need a prescription, neither should she if she decides to get them.

Costs vary depending where you live.

Remember, these are for "emergencies." They are not meant to be taken more than about one time a month. She should really be considering a daily birth control pill - it is also MUCH more effective - if you are going to be sexually active.

Okay thank you. Also, I did notice a change of feeling which must have been when the condom broke, but that was only like our 5th time and I wasn't experienced enough to realize that the condom had broken. And that feeling changed around 10 seconds I would say before ejaculation, so essentially I think we only had sex with the broken condom for about 10 seconds before I ejaculated, and then I withdrew like normal. So do you think maybe that would decrease the chance of her being pregnant if we only had unprotected sex for about 10 seconds?

It decreases the risk but remember, it only takes ONE sperm.

True, I have also read that precum is VERY unlikely to contain sperm, and if it does, it most likely won't get through everything to the egg to make her pregnant, is this true? I hope you realize my concern and I may be over reacting and thinking about it too much, because I can't stop thinking about the possibility. Like I said, it only happened last night and I know the risk is low for what happened but am still paranoid. I haven't told her yet because I don't want her to panic when she most likely won't be pregnant, and I have a very good relationship with her parents and I don't want that ruined by this scare. We both get very good grades and are in extra activities outside of school to help the community and seems like we have a lot going for us, and I don't want a pregnancy to ruin our lives... So any advice possible would be GREAT! Thanks!

When was her last period?

I'm not exactly sure but we first had sex 2 weeks ago and she wasn't on her period then. Then the last time we had sex was last night when this situation happened. So we had sex 5 times within 2 weeks. So it has been at least 2 weeks since her period, so I would assume it is coming up really soon?

I probably wouldn't worry about the emergency contraceptive.

I'm assuming her period would last about 5 days. Then add 14 days brings us to day 19 of her cycle. Normally, she would ovulate between days 11 and 16 of her cycle and the egg is only viable about 48 hours.

It'd help if you find out when she expects her period. If it is in less than about 10 days the odds are low and I think unlikely that she'd get pregnant.

So now I ready that precum will NOT contain sperm if I urinated before sex. Which I did a few times before because I had friends over before to watch football and I had a couple of sodas so I urinated a few times before we had sex. But now my attention has got brought to a new situation... I read now that it's possible someone can get pregnant from precum that has touched the outside of a condom. Those other 3 or 4 times we have had sex the past couple weeks, I know that a couple of those times I wasn't looking and tried to put the condom on and it wouldn't go on because it was upside down, which means the outside head of the condom touched the head of my penis. What would be the chances of her getting pregnant over precum on the condom? Even if I can get precum before sex has even started?

We can't predict the chances Chad. All it takes is one sperm. Precum may contain sperm, yes, urinating helps to cleanse the urethra but there are no guarantees.

Never reuse a condom. If you put it on wrong, throw it away.