I am writing this in hopes that it helps someone! I started having trouble with pressure in my throat- I felt like I was being strangled. It slowly got worse and I began wheezing. I couldn't pin point any specific cause since it seemed to be all day long. The only time I felt good was when I woke up in the morning, but it soon came back. My wheezing became extreme and I kept telling everyone that I felt like I was being strangled. I went to the doctor and they found nothing wrong. That was enough embarrassment to keep me away from the doctors for a long while. I continued to have trouble breathing and started having trouble walking across the room without having to rest. I finally went back to the doctor to find that one of my lungs had stopped working. I was sent home to await an appointment with a specialist. After two days I collapsed at work and was hospitized. Both of my lungs were swollen almost shut and I had a small pocket left to breathe, I was only days from death. 6 days of tests MRI, Ultrasounds, CAT Scans, Xrays, Stress tests (in which I lasted 30 seconds and was removed from the tread Mill) It was decided that I had severe Asthma and reflux, which I was yelled at because I let it go so long. I DON'T HAVE ASTHMA and yeah I probably had reflux, however that was nothing compared to the pressure and breathing issues! I saw specialists after specialist, who didn't listen to me, just treated me, I was on Predisone for off and on for 4 months. I was on 9 different medications- 3 inhalers( that didn't work) and it started again as soon as the predisone was gone. My pain was finally improved through acupuncture, but it still came back. Now, after 1 and 1/2 years I have finally diagnosed myself- I am highly allergic to SOY and guess what, soy is in almost everything we eat. I have changed my diet to be soy free and my lungs stopped swelling, my wheezing went away and now finally my throat pressure is gone. If I happen to get a small amount of soy, accidently, my throat pressure returns! Eating out is difficult, since I do not know what is used and most of the time the cook doesn't either, I will find myself with the pressure, wheezing and pain in my lungs which is a constant reminder that I have to be careful. If this sounds like you stay away from any bread product, protein bars, protein drinks, barbeque sauce, salad dressing, mayonaise, any processed foods, gum, candy (except milkduds), check ingrediants carefully it is worth it. Hope this helps someone!

Isn't is sad that patients have to diagnose their OWN symptoms? I had to do the same thing a few months ago. My stomach was so swollen that I looked 6 months pregnant. I could barely walk because my abdomen cramped CONSTANTLY. Went to doctor after doctor had test after test...MRI, coloscopy, you name it....NONE of the doctors could figure out what was wrong. I lost many days of work. I finally researched enough and decided that it must be DAIRY products which I LOVE and always have since a child. I'm 51 now. I cut out ALL DAIRY and guess what? Flat stomach, NO PAIN....back to normal. I was lactose intolerant and not ONE DOCTOR could figure that out. Where are they getting their degrees??? ONLINE????????

These symptoms are exactly like mine and I too was thinking soy. I consume lots of soy. Thank you.

I came across your post as I was googling symptoms, I was just wondering if you also suffered from, not to be gross, but very hard stool and constipation.