After I have noticed rash and dry skin in hot weather, I saw there is something wrong with me. My doctor said I have prickly heat, so until now I get used on that. I know that is a common disorder of the sweat glands. I guess it helped what I know a few people with the same disorder, so it’s a little bit easier. Anyway, I would like to know more about prickly heat, and which causes provokes our body to react that way.

The skin contains two types of glands, the ones which produce oil and the other produces sweat. Sweat glands are coil-shaped and they are extended deep into the skin. They are capable of plugging up at some different depths, producing four distinct skin rashes. There are two requirements for each of these phases of sweat retention, or prickly heat. It can be hot enough weather to induce sweating, and failure of the sweat to reach the surface of the skin. Best evidence to date suggests that some bacteria form the plugs in the sweat glands. These bacteria are probably normal inhabitants of the skin and why they suddenly interfere with sweat flow we still do not know. Infants are more likely to get miliaria rubra, known as prickly heat, than adults are. All the sweat retention rashes are also more likely to occur in hot and humid weather. The rash itself may be treated with topical anti-pruritics. Preparations containing aloe, eucalyptus oil, menthol, camphor, and similar ingredients are available commercially for treatment of prickly heat.