Onions are one of the favorite vegetables but when I eat, it makes me lot of problems in my stomach. Couple of minutes after eating, it starts to burn, as I have fire inside. What is going on? Which part of onion fruit makes this kind of stomach problems? Is there any resolution?

Not only onion, all the members of the onion family-onions may cause digestive problems in numerous individuals. In addition, the rest of the food, which contains appreciable amounts of mustard oil, may cause problems. To avoid discomfort after eating, try eating small amounts well cooked and chopped. If discomfort remains after that, try with medicines.

I like onions too and I can’t imagine if I had to stop eating them. I am sorry to hear that you have problems with onions. Sometimes onions can be hard to digest. Do you eat them raw or cooked? Raw onion is harder to digest and this might be the problem that is causing the fire in your stomach. I think the fructans are the part of the onion that is causing your problems. If you can’t tolerate this (fructans are chains of molecules) you won’t be able to eat onion. Do you have any similar problems with garlic or maybe Brussels sprouts? Artichoke also contain this and you might have the same problem while eating them too.