I am looking at buying a treadmill. I am an 85 pound light jogger - sometimes running/walking. I am looking at the Pacemasters and wondering if I need to upgrade to the Elite that has an adjustable deck absorbtion. I can be prone to shin splints. Any opinons out there on shock absorbers in treads?

Thanks so much!
Sheri

well, I'm not sure if I can answer your question...but it is generally accepted that treadmill running is softer on your legs...so it should be easier on your shin splints.

I have a very nice Nordic Track treadmill.

Hopefully someone here will be able to answer your question more capably than me.

Just the few comparison shoppers I've heard of give good reviews on cushioning to the Nordic Track line. A couple of their models have features called "reflex deck" and "flexstep".

Your best bet is to visit some different shops and try out a good number of models. Take your time and revisit even.

Runner's World has a buyer's guide which might be worth a look.

Where's our treadmill junkies... Sue?! Rando?! Joe?! Hayes?! What kind do you all have?

I've got a proform 860 QT. Bought it from Sears about 3 years ago. When I started running, I weighed in around 215, so it needed to cover for that. I'm now down to 175, but that's another story. As for cushioning, I think it's great. It actually has an adjustable setting (3 spots) so you can change the amount of cushioning you need.

Not sure if they still have this model available, but I am sure they have the cushioning system. I paid roughly $700-800 for it, and it's worked great through 3 years of good mileage.

Hope that helps. Good luck! :D

-Rando

I have a proform. I was real impressed with the nordic track when I was looking but they did not have one at the store. The reflex deck takes a lot of the shock out. Nordic track even has an option for a thicker padded belt but it wears out quicker.

My next tread mill will be a nordictrack. They make a quality product.

I recommend highly if you plan on using it a lot getting a warranty, I have had some service issues and likely my whole mill rebuilt basically (once from a lightning strike near my house that blow out the motor and circuit board). Maintenance agreements almost always include yearly maintenance and replace the belt every year.

I have run almost 700 miles this year probably 400 on the mill.

If you're running for fitness, I think you could use a more cushy deck, but if you're running to get faster, then I'd stick with something that more closely resembled the road.

I have a Landice. What I noticed when testing out treadmills was that it was noticeably quieter than the Precors that I was using at the gym and it was one of the few that you could get a higher hp without the gadgets and keep the price around 2k....there weren't too many that had capability of 12 mph for under $2000. (I've had 4+ years and the only maintenance has been putting a lube packet on the belt this winter).
It does seems that my motor has gotten "louder" though, but that could be from the move. My room is much smaller now and the "move" itself might have loosened something. But the acceleration does not appear to be affected--my time lag is about 11 seconds to get to my pace. I would probably go with Landice again, mainly because it has a lifetime guarantee---but you will also dish out $4000 now.

Thanks to all for the speedy replies-

I am wondering if my weight will make a difference. One salesperson said it didn't matter what sort of absorption a deck has because I don't weigh enough to make it matter and I would be "running on top of it." If that's true, I'll save my $ and buy the cheaper Pacemaster Proplus.

I am also wondering if I am buying "too much" treadmill, since I really am not that fast or heavy. Opinions?

Sheri

Just wondering, why have you already decided on that brand? With the wide range of prices, it does look like you've picked to be on the high end which as you're thinking would be heavier duty and designed for higher speeds. I would certainly think you could save some big dollars with a model more in line with what your usage is.
Do you have any kind of running goals?

I am new to running (actually jogging!) and was going by lots of internet reviews. Specifically the "Runners World" ones. I am certainly open and seeking opinions!

I am not running seriously or competitively and I doubt I will in the future. I want something that lets me program in my weight and gives me calories burned according to my body, not a pre-programmed ratio.

I run/walk between 5 and 10 K each time. I want something that is sturdy and will last many years.

I am also in MN - noticed your profile! You know why I'm looking for one! Brrrrrrrrrrrr!

Sheri

Adjustable cushion might be the way to go. When they refer to cushion, they are talking about the flex of the deck, and some treadmills you can adjust where the center support is to make the deck more rigid or bouncier.