What's the best way to get hill work in when there are no hills in your area? I've been putting my tread at an incline of 6 and running at a slower pace. I'm training for a big event in May that is sure to kick my a$$ if I don't get hillwork in. Would joining a gym for weight work help me tackle the hills too? I plan on doing that too.

Maybe using the stepper at the gym.

Biking will help out - gives you a good quad workout.

keep the treadmill inclined, try slowly bumping up the speed. i think a treadmill can give you a good hill workout.

Mech is on the right track here.
Jump on your treadly (bike) select a medium gear and get out of the saddle and pedal in the standing position. Its not an easy session so try, say 2min. intervals for starters
Your cadence (leg rotation) approximates your hill running cadence.
Also its a lot better if can clip yourself into the pedals.

A friend of mine worked on a costal trader and was able to do a lot of his training for a 100 miler on a stationary bike doing this type of training on board ship.

Incidently he won the race.

Excellent advice. Thanks!

You can also run the bleachers at the local high school or junior high stadium. Be sure to mix it up... run a lap or two around the track, then hit the stairs for a few minutes, then run another lap or two, etc.

You could do a mini-fake hill workout in the gym. But football stadium or indoor arena stairs work best (is there a college nearby?).