Do your minor children want them too? If so, how do you handle that?

Look, we are living in so called modern world, where we all get some tattoos, well not all of us, but young people do. The main thing is that I want to tell you that, unfortunately, you can't forbid your kid to get a tattoo. If you are forbidding it, you will only get this contra effect, and he will get this tattoo. It means that you can't prevent it. Instead, sit and talk to your kid and tell him about pros and cons of getting a tattoo. Don't forget to tell how important is tattoo aftercare. When my daughter asked me can she have this tattoo, I told her - yes. She give up on that :) You see...

Why is it that the major children get away with everything?

Hubby has 2 tats on his right arm. Kids haven't mentioned wanting them yet, and likely Libby won't since it involves needles and the girl is the 2nd biggest wuss in the world at almost 12yo. (She gets this wuss-factor from her mother, who is the #1 biggest wuss, thank you very much!)

Hard to say how I will handle it once the kids are old enough to do it or express an interest in it (what age is old enough?) but I'm thinking I will tell them that once they turn 18, they can do what they want with their bodies.

my lovely daughter said to me just last night......"we should go get our tattoos together!" I said "what a lovely father-daughter bonding experience "

I have always tried to turn those discussions into a reflection on whether you truly know what you want on your body for the rest of your life. Piercings are similar, but if I'm feeling that my kid isn't ready for it yet, I bring up the pain issue :|

PH do you have a teen who's looking to strike for the Hell's Angels?
Seriously, I think you should let said child talk to someone who has a tattoo that they got young and hates it. They're out there, and there's plenty of them. My sister got a huge butterfly (6" or 7") on her shoulder, done in really tackey colors. She hates it. I think she's hated since about 2 years after she got it.

hmmmmmmmmm. don't have a tatoo but my 10-yo has been gel penning her ankle for the last week or two, a different thing every day. she put on one me. she said she wants to open a tatoo parlor when she grows up.

i'd bring up the needle part. needles and icky pain.

Tell them they would look trashy!

:fubby:

As of right now, all they want are the temporary tattoos and have never voiced anything else. Perhaps my explaining that a needle is used and it "hurts really bad...worse than a million shots" has made a point. I get this reaction ( 8O ) from them. Plus, I have stated to them that I got my tattoos when I was "way old enough" to know better.

"My house, my rules."

I've got no problem saying 'no'. :shrug:

"My house, my rules." I've got no problem saying 'no'. :shrug:
and how old are your kids?

Does everyone who responded have a tattoo? I don't keep track.

and how old are your kids?
Why would age matter? Oldest is 7 and believe you me, I won't be changing my approach through the next 11 yrs for him.

because when they are 15 & 16, "Because I said so" isn't the best option.

Don't get me wrong. When I say "my rules", it's not "cuz I say". I certainly spend plenty of time explaining my beliefs and circumstances and why the rule is the way the rule is. Bottomline is though, whether my boy is 6 and wants a gorilla or is 16 and wants a gorilla tattoo, when I get done explaining why, there won't be any compromising in my kingdom