I just found out I am pregnant (1 month along). I was going to get a small tattoo on my upper back in 2 days...do I have to reschedule after the baby is due or is it safe to go ahead? The tattooist is very clean and safe.

"It is not advisable to have any body decoration procedure that would involve breaking the skin while you are pregnant. This includes procedures like piercing, tattooing or scarification. Most studios have made it a policy not to perform tattoos or piercings on anyone pregnant or breastfeeding. When you get a tattoo or piercing, you face a small chance of an allergic reaction or an infection. It just isn't worth the risk when you can just wait a few extra months and then get the tattoo or piercing you desire.

Any invasive procedure normally involves a small risk of infection. If you are pregnant, this might adversely affect your baby.

"I wouldn't recommend getting a tattoo while pregnant. All causes of infection are to be avoided during pregnancy, as your immune system does not work the way it normally does. Even minor infections should be treated promptly during pregnancy. Anything that could even potentially result in an infection in the blood is particularly to be avoided, so that would include getting a tattoo. Fortunately, pregnancy does not last very long, and waiting a few weeks or months is a very small price to pay to protect your child's health." ~~Cynthia Flynn, CNM

Similarly, when you want to get a tattoo, have it done in a place that won't stretch or have a simple design done. That way, the tattoo should remain relatively unharmed by stretch marks.

Above all, have procedures done before planning a pregnancy, or afterwards. The risk of contracting an infection, which could possibly affect your baby, is not worth satisfying your desire to have a tattoo or piercing immediately.

For facts about tattoo, piercings and breastfeeding, read Breast Tattoos, Nipple Piercings and Breastfeeding. If you have concerns or questions about tattoos or piercings, talk to your doctor or midwife."

pregnancy.org/article.php?sid=1861#pregtattoo

i have a ? im pregnant and i want a tattoo on my lower back izz dat gon affectz my pregnanzy ? !!! hopezz notzz cuzz imzz getinnzz mehzz onezz ! lol

You can search soulcysters on google to find out more about the above forum.

Once a woman gets a tattoo on her lower back (a tramp stamp if you will), there is NO CHANCE of having an epidural during your labour & delivery. Just a heads up in case you want one. Also, don't get a tattoo anyone on your body until you are done having kids. Skin stretches as you gain weight and "the load shifts" so your beautiful body art could end up looking warped or wavy afterwards.