My grandmother has 80 years. One day I was helping her with her bath because she has problems with her hip. I've noticed that she has some kind of dark-red rash on her thighs. I was really worried about her so I took her to doctor. She diagnosed her with erythema ab igne. Can someone explain this condition?

Erythema ab igne is also known as heater dermatitis or toasted skin syndrome. It is due to the cumulative effects of short and repeated exposure of the epidermal and dermal layers of the skin to heat. The condition can occur on any area of the body after long-term exposure to heat. Erythema ab igne often occurs as a result from a chronic condition, because heat from hot water bottles is commonly used to relieve chronic pain. The primary lesion is a red-to-brown hyperpigmented with reticulated macule in areas of chronic heat exposure. Within 3 weeks of heat exposure skin changes may occur and they are not permanent unless exposure persists. The hyperpigmentation can fade in the early stages of the disorder by eliminating or decreasing exposure to heat. But in cases of prolonged heat exposure, hyperpigmentation is often permanent. Treatment is rarely requested, due to the asymptomatic eruption of erythema ab igne. Use of topical 5-fluorouracil has been successful in a few cases.